Currently reading:
Switching between phases depending on live health

Discuss Switching between phases depending on live health in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I'm pretty new to the forum. Hopefully, this is the best place to post it somehow.

Currently, I have a setup of a distribution box, which is able to supply 63A three-phase load to an EV charger, running two-phase load of 16A. It demands 3.7kW from each phase, making it a 7.4kW charger effectively. It's connected to the distribution box using a 32A 5P CEE plug.

I'm living in a compound where the line voltages are dramatically changing due to heavy AC/VRF/HVAC usage. When people start running their ACs, one phase the other would drop more than the others, making the voltages in three phases imbalanced.

Since my charger is using two phases only, I'd like to have rotating three way switch to switch between the lines.
  • There will be three combinations, L1L2, L3L1 and L2L3.
  • The circuit won't be live while doing the switch as I'll switch off the breaker.
  • I don't think the device is looking for the order of the phases, however it would be great if we can have that.
I've been considering this for while, I don't know if there is a special device for that reason, but I thought a setup with using multiple contactors may work, however it would be costly.

This installation is done in Turkey, but I'm living in England and I'll order the required parts here.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I can't say I've ever seen a piece of equipment that would let you select different phase combinations like required.

Best I could think of is repurpose a mechanical change over switch, but that would only let you create 2 of the 3 phase combinations you want to use. Only ever seen a 2 way change over box, not a 3.

Reply to Switching between phases depending on live health in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock