Discuss Tagging a post for a rating. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bans should be handed out to bad spellers and lazy contributors who can't be bothered to even attempt to punctuate hundreds of words or fail to capitalise names, not to people handing out ratings.
Just wondering if I'm guilty , lazy sentence structure , _Dis-jointed thought structure_.
And --- Inappropriate "use" of emphassis-- ?
(Plus my granma)

Wow. If you're an adult and someone clicking a button on the internet has a tangible affect on your life, you should get off the internet and stay off. Pathetic and sad to see internet forums now falling to the current hurt feelings plague sweeping the world.

I think you must have misread all the posts mate. No hurt feelings involved. Some ratings are totally useless and throw thread off topic.
Have you not read what @darkwood said about having to sort out issues between members using them?

In my opinion, all the ratings are worth having and nobody should have to explain a rating unless they choose to. Likewise, nobody should let the desire for an explanation of a rating they have received affect their life in any way. This is the internet after all.

And in my opinion, people who disagree with a post that has several points in it, without explaining which point they disagree with, may as well not bother rating it. I've seen it a few times. The poster ask which point they disagree with and they get no reply... Most prob it's from some muppet who's had a bad bad and wants to troll members.

A rating is not trolling. So what if they don’t explain it.

It is trolling when you target an particular members posts and rate them 'Dumb'.
I like to learn stuff from the forum mate. If someone disagrees with one of my posts then I would like to know why. Most people who do disagree with one of my posts will tell me why. I may be wrong in what I was thinking. Then I learn stuff.
If someone disagrees with one of my posts that has a few points in it, without explaining the rating then it's not really constrictive.

This whole "dumb" thing stems from the high likelihood that this forum is US written. It's normal to just buy code chunks to save reinventing the wheel each time. Not being familiar with the usual parlance of the U, S of A... it's probably not a big insult there... like "air head" in the UK means not a lot, but is a big insult there ? Maybe the forum tags just need to be updated for UK use ??

It's just a rating. I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about.

Very true mate. I just see no need for the 'Dumb' and 'Bad Spelling' rating. They can cause issues in posts. Especially is you receive one from someone you don't like. No, not talking about me mate. I've seen thread go off at a tangent cause of a 'Dumb' rating. I don't dislike anyone on this forum, so not really an issue for me mate.

This whole "dumb" thing stems from the high likelihood that this forum is US written. It's normal to just buy code chunks to save reinventing the wheel each time. Not being familiar with the usual parlance of the U, S of A... it's probably not a big insult there... like "air head" in the UK means not a lot, but is a big insult there ? Maybe the forum tags just need to be updated for UK use ??

Apparently the plumber forum does not have the Dumb rating and yet it's run by the same person. Why the change?
They ask us to be polite and professional in out posts. How is rating someones post 'Dumb' either of these?

@Spoon
The Plumbing Forum is a different thing, I think been dumb is part of the requirements of a plumber so it would be pointless having it has a rating, it simply goes without saying.;)

@ElectricSeamus
The dumb rating discussion relates to the problems it causes down the line particularly for staff who have to tidy up threads, the issue is as expressed in my original post, members are using it to simply troll other members and also fail to expand through a post of why it has been given if it isn't self evident.
This is not an exercise to protect snowflakes from horrible ratings or hurt feelings, it is asking members to consider expanding on the rating if it is not clear, otherwise members can be left confused and start chasing up reasons which takes the threads off course and often derails them which is a headache for staff to clean up.

In the real world you don't see people joining into a conversation of strangers and telling one of them what they said was dumb then walking off without so much as any explanation, so why do it on a forum, the reaction and confusion is just the same and any recipient probably would want to know why it was said/given.

The Plumbing Forum is a different thing, I think been dumb is part of the requirements of a plumber so it would be pointless having it has a rating, it simply goes without saying.;)

haha... Poor plumbers.

In the real world you don't see people joining into a conversation of strangers and telling one of them what they said was dumb then walking off without so much as any explanation, so why do it on a forum, the reaction and confusion is just the same and any recipient probably would want to know why it was said/given.

I wouldn't joining into a conversation with strangers and say that they were dumb.... If I thought it I would just walk off.
A conversation with friends, then that's a different matter. They would get a lot worse than being called dumb.. :)

Screwfix forum runs on the same platform.
There’s none of this dumb, dislike, disagree, etc.
All there is is like or reply.
If you want to disagree with something someone has posted, you have to post your disagreement.
If your disagreement has no foundation, we just move on.
If there is some foundation we discuss it.
Yay, a discussion forum, for discussing things.

Which is precisely why it has no place on a respectable forum...........

Maybe I'll start a poll

Which is precisely why it has no place on a respectable forum...........

Maybe I'll start a poll

That’s rich coming from a bloke that’s dished it out 84 times lol.

That’s rich coming from a bloke that’s dished it out 84 times lol.

I'm a good boy, who's only done it once, in the 9 years I've been on the forum. :innocent::innocent::innocent:

I'm a good boy, who's only done it once, in the 9 years I've been on the forum. :innocent::innocent::innocent:
Just checked my own profile and I’ve done it 6 times and received it 8. Going to have to spend the next month finding those posts :)

I think this is a bit stupid, just because one person threw the toys out of the pram and gave Charlie and everyone else who commented dumb ratings doesn't mean we should remove it it makes things more interesting

Irrelevent and you know it.

As a percentage of my contributions it's not even a drop in the ocean.
Hardly irrelevant doc. If you were that dead set against it then it would say dumbs received 45 and dumbs given would be a big fat ZERO.

Reply to Tagging a post for a rating. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock