Discuss Taking Level 2/Unit 204, 10 hour practical exam next week, need advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

After my post back in 2018, I decided to take the plunge and complete the level 2 electrical installation course from City and Guilds. My local college was super helpful.

Anyway I am doing the 10 hour practical exam next week, and I am curious to know what suggestions you guys may have. I already have a photo of what we have to install. Just wanted to know what else I could do to prepare for this exam.

Hello,

After my post back in 2018, I decided to take the plunge and complete the level 2 electrical installation course from City and Guilds. My local college was super helpful.

Anyway I am doing the 10 hour practical exam next week, and I am curious to know what suggestions you guys may have. I already have a photo of what we have to install. Just wanted to know what else I could do to prepare for this exam.
Post photo of the tasks required of you may help for those who are already qualified prior to the onset of Level2 quals' pre 1969/1970

Hi Ash. Good luck with the exam and don’t worry. You should have already done everything required in the practical exam in the lessons leading up to it so there shouldn’t be any surprises. Level 2 is pretty much spoon fed. Do you understand the testing required for you to put together a schedule of test results at the end?

Hi Ash. Good luck with the exam and don’t worry. You should have already done everything required in the practical exam in the lessons leading up to it so there shouldn’t be any surprises. Level 2 is pretty much spoon fed. Do you understand the testing required for you to put together a schedule of test results at the end?
Hello,

We have a complete "pack" when we start however I am a bit dubious with the testing as it's new to me. I am starting to formulate my own testing sheet so I can "spoon feed" it to myself during the testing phase.
Attached below what we have to do and 1 of 3 testing pages I made. Is there any good websites or videos you recommend to make my testing life a bit easier? I know we have the on-site guide however it does seem a bit excessive to read when we only have 10 hours. Maybe I am just being overly ready for this.

Here is my "cheat sheet" so far:
Taking Level 2/Unit 204, 10 hour practical exam next week, need advice Formulating testing cheat sheet - EletriciansForums.net

Here is the test/circuit we have to do:
Taking Level 2/Unit 204, 10 hour practical exam next week, need advice The circuits - EletriciansForums.net

Here is what we have to test on each circuit:
Taking Level 2/Unit 204, 10 hour practical exam next week, need advice What we have to test - EletriciansForums.net

Try not rush it its not a race, you'll be surprised how many in your class try and rush it through only to be marked down for silly mistakes like not using a running coupler on the steel conduit, or saddles not fitted correctly etc Have you been allowed to prep your cable tray & trunking?.

I remember that its all done in single core cable. Have a plan before you start, think to yourself right I will fit plastic conduit first or you may want to get the trunking & bonding sorted & SWA done first,

Good Luck I am sure you will smash it.

Try not rush it its not a race, you'll be surprised how many in your class try and rush it through only to be marked down for silly mistakes like not using a running coupler on the steel conduit, or saddles not fitted correctly etc Have you been allowed to prep your cable tray & trunking?.

I remember that its all done in single core cable. Have a plan before you start, think to yourself right I will fit plastic conduit first or you may want to get the trunking & bonding sorted & SWA done first,

Good Luck I am sure you will smash it.

Yes everything is done in singles and the metal tray and metal trunking is already placed on the test board for you, it's just a matter of lining things up to match the scale and wire things correctly, that's why I am going to take a painfully easy explanation for everything in with me so I have every aspect covered. I have attached below my line of "attack" starting at section 1, 2 and then 3.
Taking Level 2/Unit 204, 10 hour practical exam next week, need advice IMG_20200109_190248 - EletriciansForums.net

I have a lesson Thursday so I will be going over my final thoughts with my tutor to ensure I am fully prepared but I am very confident in going forward. Just making sure I have everything covered.

Done the material listing+PPE, wiring diagram and drawing diagram.

Once I pass (fingers crossed) I will report back here with my findings and any tips I can suggest for future fellow level 2'ers!

Yes everything is done in singles and the metal tray and metal trunking is already placed on the test board for you, it's just a matter of lining things up to match the scale and wire things correctly, that's why I am going to take a painfully easy explanation for everything in with me so I have every aspect covered. I have attached below my line of "attack" starting at section 1, 2 and then 3.
View attachment 55249

I have a lesson Thursday so I will be going over my final thoughts with my tutor to ensure I am fully prepared but I am very confident in going forward. Just making sure I have everything covered.

Done the material listing+PPE, wiring diagram and drawing diagram.

Once I pass (fingers crossed) I will report back here with my findings and any tips I can suggest for future fellow level 2'ers!
I need help my 10 hours exam is in 2 weeks and I don’t have any clues how it will look like

Looks like this in the skin, my mate who did it said there’s loads of time to do it.

Attachments

• Taking Level 2/Unit 204, 10 hour practical exam next week, need advice 163DE224-0833-4A12-B440-EE15F84C6B86 - EletriciansForums.net
    163DE224-0833-4A12-B440-EE15F84C6B86.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 79
Those that have done this assessment before, does any have, a parts list? I.ve got the usual parts at home (sockets, bakboxes, switches, pendants, 50309 socket and a bit of SWA but there are things like the steel trunking, metallic tray, 22mm copper pipes, total length of steel conduit used - although i don't have a bender - may just use PVC for practice and ease.

I can see centres marked on the diagram but no value given (i take it this is to allow centres to fix to smaller locations) anyone have a ballpark figure/idea? The practice boards we've been using are 750mm * 620mm, something tells me this is done on an entire wall length but if anyone can confirm.

Ideally want to know the lengths of the steek trunking (700mm seems to ring a bell - from the workshop skills pack) and the length(s) of the metallic tray so i can rig up my test board. I've got the diagram above but cant find a parts list anywhere (i'm guessing as the parts are prefixxed (tray and pipework only i think, as i'm sure we have to fabricate the trunking)

Got feelers out for some outcuts of 22mm copper and saddles but if anyone nearby has any bits above i could scrounge, i'd be eternally grateful, the lengths used (metallic tray may be exception) dont warrent the outlay, at least thats how it looks at first glance. I'm happy to be corrected though.

@OfficialAsh - Could i nab a copy of your parts list so i can double check i have everything needed?

I dont think its classed as the (bay in a day 10hr exam) no more because half the exam has already been completed by the students before they start it.

I think we started at 9am on a Saturday and at lunch time 1pm we just had to test it left to do.

It is Mike, however we are required to do bonding of water and gas, I'll throw an image up of what my assessment looks like as it does appear to differ from Ash.

View attachment 56443
I'd say that steel trunking on two 20mm couplings is a bad idea.
Much better with slot/pax, leaving access for any future requirements or, looking at the size of the planned installation, a couple of 2''couplings.

Last edited:
Much better with slot/pax, leaving access for any future requirements or, looking at the size of the planned installation, a couple of 2''couplings.

This is what C&G want so that's what they'll get.

It's not a test of installation design though, it is a test of being able to install the required components according to the specification.

Those that have done this assessment before, does any have, a parts list? I.ve got the usual parts at home (sockets, bakboxes, switches, pendants, 50309 socket and a bit of SWA but there are things like the steel trunking, metallic tray, 22mm copper pipes, total length of steel conduit used - although i don't have a bender - may just use PVC for practice and ease.

I can see centres marked on the diagram but no value given (i take it this is to allow centres to fix to smaller locations) anyone have a ballpark figure/idea? The practice boards we've been using are 750mm * 620mm, something tells me this is done on an entire wall length but if anyone can confirm.

Ideally want to know the lengths of the steek trunking (700mm seems to ring a bell - from the workshop skills pack) and the length(s) of the metallic tray so i can rig up my test board. I've got the diagram above but cant find a parts list anywhere (i'm guessing as the parts are prefixxed (tray and pipework only i think, as i'm sure we have to fabricate the trunking)

Got feelers out for some outcuts of 22mm copper and saddles but if anyone nearby has any bits above i could scrounge, i'd be eternally grateful, the lengths used (metallic tray may be exception) dont warrent the outlay, at least thats how it looks at first glance. I'm happy to be corrected though.

@OfficialAsh - Could i nab a copy of your parts list so i can double check i have everything needed?

I have the measurements & material list will sent it over

Reply to Taking Level 2/Unit 204, 10 hour practical exam next week, need advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock