Discuss Taking over abandoned notifiable job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened, but I've never encountered it before.
The situation is a house extension partially built. Clients have fallen out with builder/PM who have walked off the job three months ago.
An unknown sparks working for the builder has already done some electrical work including changing the consumer unit (Fusebox unit at least), some new circuits have been 1st and 2nd fixed, some (including the shower) only first fixed. At first glance it looks like good work. Decorating has been completed in some rooms.

I'm now being asked to assess where things got to and finish off. At this point no paperwork exists for the current work and I'm not hopeful of getting any. Nothing has been notified yet. The customer will ultimately need a building regs certificate.

Work to date that need notifying is:
New CU (already energised), New lighting circuit (already energised), New kitchen radial sockets circuit (already energised)

New work I'll need to do that needs notifying is:
2nd fix shower (I figure I can check cable installation and assume responsibility)
Provide new utility room RFC

Is it a silly idea to try and talk to the building inspector assigned to the job and see if he'll accept an EICR for the first list?

What’s already installed is by the by now. You can’t issue a EIC for work that was done by others 3 or 4 months ago…

you can offer to a condition report on the existing wiring and then offer to complete the works issuing an EIC on the works that you undertake

I very regularly get asked to retrospectively certificate builders wiring / kitchen fitters wiring and my answer is always the same… NO

Sometimes building control will accept a condition report thou

The other question I would be asking is why did they fall out with the builder/electrician?
Was it because they didn't pay them? I would be asking ALOT more questions before doing any work for these people.I would even try to speak to the builder to get his side of the story.

The other question I would be asking is why did they fall out with the builder/electrician?
Was it because they didn't pay them? I would be asking ALOT more questions before doing any work for these people.I would even try to speak to the builder to get his side of the story.
I agree in general. But I know them fairly well and the builder isn’t my favourite person in the universe. A joiner I know worked for the builder once. Long story…but left when he was asked to do some highly creative invoicing.

As long as its not the one being offered from Hampshire - It sounds like one doing the rounds here. I spoke to our building control officer (or equivalent) about it - I like to go in for full disclosure - and he said he thought an EICR would suffice, when I pointed out what an EICR covers and does NOT cover he backed away from that idea - I am waiting to hear back (or not). If you pursue it with NAPIT they offer the option for you to certify third party so to speak... I'd use it as a great opportunity to see just how far the regs can go... and then say no... if an EICR was the way foreword - why would we keep EIC certification?

As long as its not the one being offered from Hampshire - It sounds like one doing the rounds here. I spoke to our building control officer (or equivalent) about it - I like to go in for full disclosure - and he said he thought an EICR would suffice, when I pointed out what an EICR covers and does NOT cover he backed away from that idea - I am waiting to hear back (or not). If you pursue it with NAPIT they offer the option for you to certify third party so to speak... I'd use it as a great opportunity to see just how far the regs can go... and then say no... if an EICR was the way foreword - why would we keep EIC certification?

Problems like this can arise for many reasons - not least because of a falling out.. If an electrician died part way through an installation, it isn't reasonable to expect that everything should be ripped out and started again.

Problems like this can arise for many reasons - not least because of a falling out.. If an electrician died part way through an installation, it isn't reasonable to expect that everything should be ripped out and started again.
Funny you should say that , a few years ago I used to help an old sparks out from time to time

he always used to say to me ‘if I dropped dead tomorrow you can take over all the jobs I have started’

Funny you should say that , a few years ago I used to help an old sparks out from time to time

he always used to say to me ‘if I dropped dead tomorrow you can take over all the jobs I have started’

Then face potential issues with certification, if you weren't present during the installation.

What’s already installed is by the by now. You can’t issue a EIC for work that was done by others 3 or 4 months ago…

In this case I would adopt the 6 or 7 ongoing jobs as my own , couldn’t care less what the do- gooders say
So if I track down the original electrician and make sure he dies, it's fine to crack on and pretend the work is mine?

So if I track down the original electrician and make sure he dies, it's fine to crack on and pretend the work is mine?

I'm guessing it would be easier to take on work if you knew the guy who started it worked to a good standard.

Still plenty of reasons why a job might change hands part way through and it's something the bureaucracy of local councils should be able to account for.

local councils can't make their minds up on what to have for dinner, let alone electrical wizadry. unlesssaid electriccal work is of dubious sexuality, then they start throwing the book.

I've used a 'creative' workaround in the past where a 'notification' has been demanded, for a client I knew who had been let down by tradesmen.

I carried out a notifiable job in the same location (This was back when kitchens were included) - notified that, and ensured my certificate was clear about the extent of my installation.

Hey presto, a notification existed to show to anyone who asked - and if anyone looked at my certificate I had done everything correctly so taken on no responsibility for other's work.

In theory there was still a missing notification for the other work, but nothing in the system to show that existed. (Because the options on notification are so vague "new circuit", "work in special location", etc.,)

It does show how badly the system was designed and implemented of course.

In this case, if you were to remove the consumer unit from the wall and 'reinstall' it, then you'd be fine to issue a notification for that work IMO - No different to you installing a new consumer unit to existing wiring. Obviously you'd be carrying out suitable testing, etc.

The new circuits are more difficult and unless you can see the entire route of installation I'd be wary of doing anything other than producing an EICR for it - in which case talking to the building inspector is likely the best option. It can't be right that a homeowner is left in a position where they are practically unable to complete a legal requirement, due to the action of others...

Whatever you do, be very clear on the certificate extent of installation to cover yourself

Reply to Taking over abandoned notifiable job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock