Discuss Taking over abandoned notifiable job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Problems like this can arise for many reasons - not least because of a falling out.. If an electrician died part way through an installation, it isn't reasonable to expect that everything should be ripped out and started again.
I agree, however my point is that the issue should not be the responsibility of either an electrician, or current certification, there is no reasonable way under current regs and certification, for someone to finish both the work and at the same time safely cover the work done previously (I'm talking about the buried parts of an installation, that you never witnessed being installed) - and this is what needs to be addressed by the powers that be, not the sparks on the shop floor, so to speak. If an EICR can be used once for a job to replace an EIC, then what is the point of current variation in certification? No, it needs a new system of signing off work that is failed as complete due to circumstances such as death.

I agree it shouldn’t be an electricians problem to solve it but the reality is at the moment the customer is looking to electricians to solve their problem.
I’ve been musing 3rd party certification too.If by means of camera etc I find I can examine the first fix and be sure of no joints, and appropriate cable routing and operating temperature, and then do 100% inspection of 2nd fix I could almost completely correctly use 3rd party certification for it. The main issue still being not being able to name the installer and designer on the form. Otherwise requirements of TPS would be satisfied as far as I can see.
I think I’ll talk to Napit and if that (reasonably) gets nowhere I’ll then talk to BC officer about the two circuits.
Ive decided I don’t mind adopting the CU (with full testing) as it’s a good job and the fact it’s Fusebox unit with rcbos and Spd suggests it was fitted with someone with standards.
Thanks for all the responses - I’ve appreciated hearing the collective views.

To put things into perspective, if say Nick Bundy or Delroy the spark rung me saying they started a rewire in my area but can’t get back to finish it and would I wrap it up for them…

of course I would have no issue doing so and adopting the job as mr own to finish it

if dave the plumber asked me to finish of his rewire , I would have reservations about this and would ideally like to see the job and it’s state before adopting it

however in both cases I wouldn’t simply turn down the opportunity of 2 paying jobs because the jobs worth don’t think it’s politically correct to take on a half finished rewire

To put things into perspective, if say Nick Bundy or Delroy the spark rung me saying they started a rewire in my area but can’t get back to finish it and would I wrap it up for them…

of course I would have no issue doing so and adopting the job as mr own to finish it

if dave the plumber asked me to finish of his rewire , I would have reservations about this and would ideally like to see the job and it’s state before adopting it

however in both cases I wouldn’t simply turn down the opportunity of 2 paying jobs because the jobs worth don’t think it’s politically correct to take on a half finished rewire

Not sure about Delroy after I saw the video of him installing those kitchen sockets.

I wouldn't have any problems taking over a job from a well known colleague who I trust and respect.

Without doubt, but my point is that there are plenty of legitimate reasons why a job might need to be taken over part way through and councils need to make provision for this.

Electricians can't be placed on the hook for work they didn't carry out, and can not fully inspect, and homeowners shouldn't be left in a precarious position when they may have done nothing wrong.

Without doubt, but my point is that there are plenty of legitimate reasons why a job might need to be taken over part way through and councils need to make provision for this.

Electricians can't be placed on the hook for work they didn't carry out, and can not fully inspect, and homeowners shouldn't be left in a precarious position when they may have done nothing wrong.
Todays world is just too complicated when it needn't.

Reply to Taking over abandoned notifiable job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net