Discuss Temporary wiring/electrics system not behind walls for a year-is this doable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Timc101

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there,
Just about to move into a house with 2 small kids and the wiring/electrics haven't been updated in years (hard to know as it's probate). Looks like some work has been done about 20 years ago and there's a mix of VERY old sockets/electrics (on skirting boards) with some newer ones circa 1980s I reckon. Have also had someone take a quick look and some things are unearthed as well (a light in the dining room and some sockets!).

We're going to do a full refurb in a year/move things around/take walls down etc so we're trying to avoid doing a full rewire and all the chaos (and cost) that this involves, especially as some of it might be redundant/ripped out in just over a year, especially if we move some plumbing (some plumbers tend to just rip things out!). Just need a system that will be able to take the load of a family-toaster/kettle/washer/dryer/fridge/tv etcetc and to make sure it's safe.

I'm a keen DIYer but clearly due to safety issues I think this job is beyond me in terms of ensuring the safety of my family. Have done v basic electrical stuff but wouldn't say I feel confident by any means.

So the main question is whether it's possible to get a safe and temporary fix to update the electrics without going into the walls etc? We would be happy to pin cabling around the house into a new electrical unit if that's required. Just pin it above doorways, to the side of stairs etc around the house. Of course we would be happy to get a new fusebox etc as this will be used well after the refurb and in place from the beginning.

Or can anyone think of any other workaround/decent temporary fix?

Will have to invest in a decent hammer as I'll wear out my current one if I'm going to be pinning metres of wires to floors above doorways etc throughout the entire house!

Any advice would be gratefully received. We are of course going to get qualified electricians round to take a look and give their suggestions, I thought an attempt at coming up with some lateral thinking would be a good idea as some of them will just say "full rewire" and charge 15 grand.

Having read through your musings/strategies...I think this should not even be a question. Perhaps your more proper question is how can I afford to re-wire. Surrey is the sort of place that will attract the kind of price you mention. There are two reasons I say this. One: Safety (esp. electrical) should not be compromised in any way. The outcome of a poorly formed strategy around electrical safety is generally unthinkable, hence your question should not be asked. Two; Many years of experience have shown me that you need to bite the bullet. Actuariely, (neologism!) it will save money in the long run by getting the job done now due to fiddling and expense on poorly conceived work-arounds (always not good!) and inflationary costs in the future. It seems as you have just moved in it is an ideal time to get that work done now, before you settle in to the fabric of the building which will cost more for re-wire as it is so much more labout to move your worldly goods around!
Best of luck with your settling in.

a certain member on here, dustydazzler, is in surrey or sussex. (anywhere south of birmingham is foreign lands to me). he would be my "go to" spark to advise you. i can't see any problem with installing surface cables temporprarily until you are ready to bash walls around.

I must say personally I would not do such a job. i.e. lash up cables and fiddle with old and by description at least, dangerous cabling. The liability is unacceptable as there are so many ways that could go wrong. As there are children as well it goes past my red-line on the dangermeter.

First I'd have a look at the existing installation and see if it is really as bad as you say or if it could be brought up to a safe standard.

If not then yes an entirely surface mounted installation is possible, with a little bit of care and thought it can be done very neatly and tidily.

It would however still need to be carried out in full compliance with the wiring regulations exactly the same as a permanent installation would be.
There's no guarantee that a temporary installation will not be left in place for a lot longer than planned.
There are many 'temporary' jobs out there which were installed for just a few months but are still in use 10 years later.

I must say personally I would not do such a job. i.e. lash up cables and fiddle with old and by description at least, dangerous cabling. The liability is unacceptable as there are so many ways that could go wrong. As there are children as well it goes past my red-line on the dangermeter.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a lash up should be done. But merely a basic, surface mounted, rewire of the property.

Not too sure about that as the OP said he would wear out a hammer nailing in the clips. I take that to mean he is contemplating doing the temporary fix himself. I didn't think he would be wanting to get in an electrician to re-wire temp. then re-wire again "later", a very expensive idea imho.

Temporary installation needs careful planning and in the long term might end up costing more than a full rewire. OP caught between a rock and a hard place, if they haven’t the funds.

Has the sale gone through yet @Timc101 ? If not the rewire shoutdoor be reflected in the sale price.

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the detailed responses.

Sorry I should have been clearer. I wouldn't be planning on doing the wiring/mapping etc myself at all, would be a certified electrician doing it. I would however be happy to lend a (careful) hand tacking down the wires with a hammer as I think that would be the least complicated part!

It's all very interesting to see a divergence of views, will see what the electrician says and update you.

@Midwest yes the sale has gone through and took into account the rewire (and everything else that needs doing).
It's just that now that we're getting into it we're thinking more of the detail of it all and the timing of it.

As already said by @davesparks you really should find someone good to properly check out what you currently have first, and base any changes from that point onwards.

If you can do it, doing a full rewire with sockets and lights where you want/need them, rather than where they currently are (or not, as is likely) now would work out cheapest and best in the long term.

But if you can't afford that or really are looking at major works in a year or two's time then knowing the current state of the installation is the key to what to do next. For example, most PVC wire from 1970s onwards will be fine unless attacked by rodents, nails, or sunlight. So fixing any minor issues like a lack of earth due to some stupid modification might not be too expensive and no upheaval to replace the cable.

Probably a new CU (consumer unit / fuse box) is going to be a good idea anyway, and getting that done now is likely to improve safety for various reason and, unless you plan on a new location for it later, is not going to need replacement in 2 years as part of other work. But you should plan the final setup now as if you don't have enough spare ways in the CU then it will be a replacement job later! So take stock of what you have and what you might want added (e.g. outside lights, shed/outhouse power, EV changer, etc, etc). Other than the size to fit a small location, a bigger CU is not that expensive at all, it is the cost of populating it with breakers and testing each circuit that adds up and that would be for later when such extras were fitted.

@Dustydazzler might be the person to see if they cover your area and can give you a quote for the above.

Reply to Temporary wiring/electrics system not behind walls for a year-is this doable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net