Discuss testing switched sockets with neons? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

partp

Does anyone have a quicker or safer way to eliminate the problems caused by neon switched sockets or dual pole switches etc, while running the schedule of tests on a ring or radial circuit. I would think the best way to eliminate the effects caused by the neons on the test results is to disconnect the fitting with the neon completely and replace it with chock block for the dutration of the tests, or is there a better way?..

The neon should only affect the insulation test, and then only that test between line and neutral. If you carry out tests on line to Earth and neutral to Earth you are "testing" all conductors - just note on cert that line to neutral not carried out due to neons on the circuit (--- covered).

Removing the neons is nearly impossible without damageing the accessorary, removing accessory and replacing with choc block may be an option if there is only on or two outlets - any more than that and you will be wasting quite a chunk of your valuable time.

Thanks Dinosaur.. that helps.. Its quicker than disconecting them and having to backtrack reconnecting them after the testing.

Make sure the switch on sockets are in the OFF position and not in the ON position when you do your testing. Neon should only light when socket has been switched on.

90% of the time .ive known neons be put across the feed side so you can find it in the dark,usually on light switches rare but ive seen it done

90% of the time .ive known neons be put across the feed side so you can find it in the dark,usually on light switches rare but ive seen it done

Ahh . Neon locator plates, MK used to make 'em (and probably still do). Yes , wired across the switch, light up in 'off' position, and go out in 'on' position.

Hav'nt heard of them in years !

Hi Wayne (Wasn't that a picture by Constable?)

You must deal with the same sort of people I have dealt with.

Asked to do an inspection on a house, as part of survey for a purchaser, and the vendor had fitted plastic plates under all the swiches which illuminated. Apparently you could by these from the"sheds" at one time.

Happily spent ages disconnecting them all then reconnecting them once I had worked out what was causing the wierd readings I was getting.

Then there is the person who changes their 20amp isolators themselves and reverses the feed with the load.

It's a great life though isn't it?

Reply to testing switched sockets with neons? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock