Discuss tests on cu change in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

petewan

hi can you give me a bit of advice.
I'm changing a cu for a niceic registration job, do i have to test all of the installation as if it was a new installation.
I would be grateful for any advice you can give me

Thanks Pete

Its always a good idea to do all the tests as this would show up any problems with the existing install. Nothing worse than putting an RCD on everything and then having trouble through borrowed neutrals and the like.

Dont forget to ensure main bonding is in place too.

If you dont and he spots it, he will tear you a new one.

Besides, makes you feel better when you have done the tests and you have the results to give the customer. Its all about doing a good job.

To clarify, and support jasons post, you should do all the tests as you're changing the protective characteristics of every circuit. Also, make sure you do the tests before you start the CU change. You don't want to find any nasties in the installation and a customer saying "well they weren't there before you did your work". Obviously you'll need to do Zs when you're complete.

Hi there.

you HAVE to test everything.
when you change a consumer unit, YOU become resposible for the whole system. You sign the cert to say so!

hope this helps.

To clarify, and support jasons post, you should do all the tests as you're changing the protective characteristics of every circuit. Also, make sure you do the tests before you start the CU change. You don't want to find any nasties in the installation and a customer saying "well they weren't there before you did your work". Obviously you'll need to do Zs when you're complete.

i cant see many people willing to pay for 2 tests to be done to their installation just for a fuseboard change, id personally jus make the client aware of what could possibly happen before carrying out the work. I can see your point of view though it would mean you would be out of pocket or time.

There is no need to do 2 tests on an install.

But, before i even consider ripping the old board of the wall i do IR tests to confirm circuits are sound.

Then, once the new CU is in place ill do the rest.

Job done.

don't need to do 2 tests. do all of the disconnected tests first on the initial DB. remove this DB, install new. you wont need to redo the IR, continuity, pol etc. do your PFC, RCD tests etc on the new board

so on and so forth

Reply to tests on cu change in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock