Discuss The elusive Job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
the hunt for the lesser spotted electricial job continues.....

Im 23,from glasgow, just got ma papers,got paid off, dont have a big network.

Would any old horses care to divulge secrets of landing a job if there is any.

Ive joined an agency and i fire out CV's all the time. Been out of work for 2 months. Gettin desperate.

Ive even started offering to work for low money.

I am experienced in domestic/commercial/testing/maintenance, also wire a mean plug :p

Any leads will be appreciated

the hunt for the lesser spotted electricial job continues.....

Im 23,from glasgow, just got ma papers,got paid off, dont have a big network.

Would any old horses care to divulge secrets of landing a job if there is any.

Ive joined an agency and i fire out CV's all the time. Been out of work for 2 months. Gettin desperate.

Ive even started offering to work for low money.

I am experienced in domestic/commercial/testing/maintenance, also wire a mean plug :p

Any leads will be appreciated

Are the leads for your plugs ?

Take a look for companies which operate in the area which you're most experienced in, give them a call to get the hirer's name and address your CV to him/her direct. The simple fact that you've done a little digging may help you out.
After that take the scattergun approach and paper the area with the CV.
Keep throwing the mud at the wall mate, sooner or later some will stick
Good luck

Seriously, just keep trying. It seems to be hard work everywhere at pres. At least it's only a couple of months, so don't lose heart. No secrets, just a matter of luck and effort.

Good luck,

Dont be afraid of applying for jobs that you are under qualified for. Most companies set their sights high to stop dross applying. I once got a job that was asking for HND, i only have ONC, and i got one of 3 jobs on offer out of 1100 applicants.

Cheers...........Howard

Well take this bit of advice never think what am I going to do when you leave a job think what do I want to do before you lose your job. I was your age during Thatcher ie a bit like it is now so I watched the guy from the alarm company come in and commission the fire alarm system I had installed and thought I want to do that then I moved into HVAC/BMS controls the facilities maintenance now I run a small electrical repair business why cos it suits and I aint working shifts no more so you need extra strings to your bow so start learning go to you local technical college and get some training then you are always one step ahead

Good luck,

Dont be afraid of applying for jobs that you are under qualified for. Most companies set their sights high to stop dross applying. I once got a job that was asking for HND, i only have ONC, and i got one of 3 jobs on offer out of 1100 applicants.

Cheers...........Howard

I know there are two camps on this but what are your thoughts on the lying to get a job front. This is an approach ive been considering.

Don't lie. You will get found out then you're no different from all the chancers. Be honest then there's no come back on you

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont need to lie (and definitely shouldn't lie) on any job application.

I think what SirKit is saying is dont be afraid of sending your (truthful) CV to an advert asking for higher qualified applicants.

As others have said stick with it,keep sending of those CV's and stay positive (as hard as it can be at times) as eventualy your new job will come. Many, many people are in the same boat unfortunately.

PLEASE don't go down the lying route re:CV's I have been involved in interviewing chaps over the years and the ones that "gilded the lily" on the CV or even at the interview stage,always got sussed sooner or later.Sometimes it was a fair bit later but it always came.The contradictory part of this golden advice is they obviously had got the job so the blag worked....You don't have lie.Instead of saying "i've done high-level light work...." say "my installation experience would allow easy transition to other types of commercial work...." Put plenty of relevant stuff in there.Don't fall for that generic crap those CV writers would write on your behalf.No "running occupational relevant skills update contingency...." !!!Rhubarb..... Let them stamp those lists out for others...Put in about your interest history relevant to the job,tell about your health! if your fit and active tell em'! It rules out them thinking you may have a coronary scaling 10 flights of stairs to that inspection...Be honest,put in what you believe would make someone reading it turn to their work colleage and say,"Hey,have a look at this..." Good luck and keep it positive!

Keep at it and work on your interviewing skills in the mean time. Don't lie on your CV.

One of the guys who had been with me for several years claimed a qualification on his initial job application and half by accident I found out he lied. The rules are black and white and I had no choice but to end his employment. It was one of the worst things I ever had to do but on a business level the repercussions can be enormous on everything from insurance policies to client contracts.

Keep at it and work on your interviewing skills in the mean time. Don't lie on your CV.

One of the guys who had been with me for several years claimed a qualification on his initial job application and half by accident I found out he lied. The rules are black and white and I had no choice but to end his employment. It was one of the worst things I ever had to do but on a business level the repercussions can be enormous on everything from insurance policies to client contracts.

I appreciate what you guys are saying, lying is a harsh term, what i mean is more "creative truth telling".
As a means of expanding on work experience. For example if youve never worked in the industrial sector, how is it you go about gaining experience? Jobs come up and its hard to get in there if you dont lie to an extent.
I could be wrong but the way i see things is its not rocket science... given time,people will adapt to new working enviroments. After all electrical systems all obey the same laws of physics, its just a question of familiarity.

Its hard times people and i know it sounds like desperation, but sometimes i think its the only way to get your foot in the door, even if only for a short time

Reply to The elusive Job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock