Discuss Thermostat Wiring in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Stapes

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone, wonder if someone can guide me on this please? I bought a Tado to replace a Honeywell T6360B but stupidly, i forgot to take a photo of the wiring before taking it off the wall. I then (second act of stupidity) followed a YouTube video which told me where i thought the wires should be connected, but whilst the Tado unit works, it doesn't fire up the boiler when adjusting the temperature (and it's getting bloody cold in my house).

I know that connectors 2, 3 and 1 (per the first pic) were used on the Honeywell as these are the screws that have been loosened. I have blue, brown and green/yellow wires coming form the wall (as in the second pic), question is, where should these connect to the Tado? Pics for reference:

https://ibb.co/DGKbFpG

https://ibb.co/rcJ480f

Many thanks in advance guys.

As the the Honeywell nedded a neutral it could be the blue is the neutral and the switched live is the green/yellow besdt to check at the other end first though.

As the the Honeywell nedded a neutral it could be the blue is the neutral and the switched live is the green/yellow besdt to check at the other end first though.
Thanks for your reply. Now this could be my third act of stupidity in a day, but is this something i can test by switching the wires around? Or can this cause damage to me/the unit?!

If not, how could i check at the other end? I know it doesn't sound/look like it, but i'm usually fairly adept at these kind of things. Should i hire a pro instead?

a photo of the terminals in the boiler would help.

Green and yellow should only be used as a cpc or earth. So whoever wired the stat in the first instance didn’t do it right.... IF indeed it is being used as a switches live

take the green /yellow out of terminal 2 at boiler. take the blue of the same cable out of terminal 4 and put into terminal2. at stat, brown and blue as your picture. use the green/yellows as earths.

Green and yellow should only be used as a cpc or earth. So whoever wired the stat in the first instance didn’t do it right.... IF indeed it is being used as a switches live
Do they make sense at all if the first pics at the top of the page are taken into account? Apologies for asking so many questions - should i get a pro to look at it or reckon this is something i can resolve myself?

Worth a note that it is flexible cable, so doesn't pose the same risks as if it were T&E (exposed conductor / CSA difference). I agree with you entirely that it's not right and don't approve if it - but there was some debate about it. It was mentioned on Voltimum as being 'frowned upon' but it was answered that as long as it's oversleeved it would comply with BS7671. It wouldn't allow for identification along the whole length of the cable, but not sure how much impact that would have in this example - so it potentially could be remedied quite easily with some brown sleeving.

As for the OP I'd say some basic testing needed to identify the cores, unless each flex is visible throughout the entire run - in which case it could be established visually

take the green /yellow out of terminal 2 at boiler. take the blue of the same cable out of terminal 4 and put into terminal2. at stat, brown and blue as your picture. use the green/yellows as earths.
Super helpful, thank you mate. Just for clarity, which is the earth connection on the Tado?

Worth a note that it is flexible cable, so doesn't pose the same risks as if it were T&E (exposed conductor / CSA difference). I agree with you entirely that it's not right and don't approve if it - but there was some debate about it. It was mentioned on Voltimum as being 'frowned upon' but it was answered that as long as it's oversleeved it would comply with BS7671. It wouldn't allow for identification along the whole length of the cable, but not sure how much impact that would have in this example - so it potentially could be remedied quite easily with some brown sleeving.

As for the OP I'd say some basic testing needed to identify the cores, unless each flex is visible throughout the entire run - in which case it could be established visually
Great reply thank you mate. Reassuring that even though it might not be perfect, it doesn't sound particularly unsafe.

No idea how to visually establish the flex given that the wires are hidden behind the walls. I think you know by now that i don't even tick the novice box on this one.

Reply to Thermostat Wiring in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock