NAPIT Certification Scheme Third Party Certification

Discuss Third Party Certification in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is there anybody out there in NAPITs Third Party Certification Scheme who would be willing to certify a new consumer unit I am wanting to install in one of my rental properties in Nottinghamshire?
I consider myself competent, and I have City & Guilds qualifications in electrics (Part P (2393), 18th edition Regs (2382), and Inspection & Testing (2391-52)) and I have installed consumer units before, all of which were certified.
I cant find anyone to certify work anymore. I've contacted the nearest electricians who are listed on NAPITs TPC scheme. I've contacted the 2 local LABCs, and also some local private building control companies. No one wants to certify electrical work.
I don't do enough electrical work to justify the cost of joining a trade body.
I'm all in favour of promoting high standards in the electrical industry, and stopping DIYers who aren't competent.
If there is anyone out there happy to certify my work, please contact me. I'm happy to pay for this service.

So someone else signed off your other DIY projects.
Yes. Previously I have had a new consumer unit signed off by a private building control company who have now stopped certifying electrical work. Also I found an electrician on the TPC scheme with NAPIT who certified more work for me. I've contacted him again for this project but he says NAPIT are now advising against certifying work for other people. My previous consumer units installs have all been inspected and Part P compliance certificates issued and also have had EICRs issued for them. I hire a Metrel MI 3000 to do the testing and I have a copy of the regs to refer to as needed.
I don't do the work primarily to save money as by the time I've paid for it to be inspected there isn't much of a saving. I do it because I enjoy it and find it rewarding.

No electrician in their right mind would sign off work undertaken by someone who has little or no qualifications like yourself and primarily you do these works to save money.

For many years I have looked into being a 3rd party certifier as there seems a real market for DIYers and non-PartPee sparks who need work signing off and notifying etc
However to make it worth my while I would need to be charging £200 per hour to make it worth my while and this pretty much kills any savings the original installer would have made by Not using a PertPee sparks in the 1st place.
Its a lose lose

I tried employing a 3rd party spark, when I did some electrical work in my own property. This was back in 2021. I had one guy said he would, out of three in my area. However, when it came to start the work, he never responded to my emails etc.

Guess it was too much hassle for little return.

Is there anybody out there in NAPITs Third Party Certification Scheme who would be willing to certify a new consumer unit I am wanting to install in one of my rental properties in Nottinghamshire?
I consider myself competent, and I have City & Guilds qualifications in electrics (Part P (2393), 18th edition Regs (2382), and Inspection & Testing (2391-52)) and I have installed consumer units before, all of which were certified.
I cant find anyone to certify work anymore. I've contacted the nearest electricians who are listed on NAPITs TPC scheme. I've contacted the 2 local LABCs, and also some local private building control companies. No one wants to certify electrical work.
I don't do enough electrical work to justify the cost of joining a trade body.
I'm all in favour of promoting high standards in the electrical industry, and stopping DIYers who aren't competent.
If there is anyone out there happy to certify my work, please contact me. I'm happy to pay for this service.
Assuming that you have relevant training, then you do not need to be a member of any electrical organisation to certify your work.
Work has to be certified by Competent person (if you are competent then you know where to get the definition of this term).
No Electrical regulation requires competent person to be member of any scheam. In fact most of the worst inspectors I know are all members... Dont forget to register replacement with build regs.
On the other side many councils require Inspection certificate issued by member of the trading organisation, for rental premises and might still need it on top of the installation certificate.
The reasons for that is to pass responsibility for checking installers competence and compliance to third party.

Assuming that you have relevant training, then you do not need to be a member of any electrical organisation to certify your work.
Work has to be certified by Competent person (if you are competent then you know where to get the definition of this term).
No Electrical regulation requires competent person to be member of any scheam. In fact most of the worst inspectors I know are all members... Dont forget to register replacement with build regs.
On the other side many councils require Inspection certificate issued by member of the trading organisation, for rental premises and might still need it on top of the installation certificate.
The reasons for that is to pass responsibility for checking installers competence and compliance to third party.
Think OP is concerned about a compliance certificate.

Think OP is concerned about a compliance certificate.
The relevant Compliance certificate for DB upgrade is EIC which can be issued by a competent person:

Quoting from IET:
A person carrying out an EICR is required to be competent. The term skilled person (electrically) is used in BS 7671:2018+A1:2020, defined as below:

‘Skilled person (electrically). Person who possesses, as appropriate to the nature of the electrical work to be undertaken, adequate education, training and practical skills, and who is able to perceive risks and avoid hazards that electricity can create.

NOTE 1: The term “(electrically)” is assumed to be present where the term 'skilled person' is used throughout BS 7671.

Many councils will however require EICR from Competent person within a relevant scheme.

While most electricians, whether registered (I am with NAPIT) or not, Me included would NOT issue installation certificate to somebody else's work, It is perfectly common to do condition report on one.
In mine local area we have a REGISTERED electrician who does inspections so fast that tenants sometimes wont notice he was even there (he is rated excellent on trusted trader). So while older installation certificates do give me hints of expected values, their presence or its lack will not influence result of mine inspection by much.

The relevant Compliance certificate for DB upgrade is EIC which can be issued by a competent person:

Quoting from IET:
A person carrying out an EICR is required to be competent. The term skilled person (electrically) is used in BS 7671:2018+A1:2020, defined as below:

‘Skilled person (electrically). Person who possesses, as appropriate to the nature of the electrical work to be undertaken, adequate education, training and practical skills, and who is able to perceive risks and avoid hazards that electricity can create.

NOTE 1: The term “(electrically)” is assumed to be present where the term 'skilled person' is used throughout BS 7671.

Many councils will however require EICR from Competent person within a relevant scheme.

While most electricians, whether registered (I am with NAPIT) or not, Me included would NOT issue installation certificate to somebody else's work, It is perfectly common to do condition report on one.
In mine local area we have a REGISTERED electrician who does inspections so fast that tenants sometimes wont notice he was even there (he is rated excellent on trusted trader). So while older installation certificates do give me hints of expected values, their presence or its lack will not influence result of mine inspection by much.

He means part P certification

Reply to Third Party Certification in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock