Discuss Time clock controlling a ring main? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HI,
i may be wrong but i dont think theres any regulations preventing it ,never come accross it myself .i would be inclined to use a radial circuit to feed the sockets that which nead timed rather than a ring,sangamo time clocks are rated at 10a ,if you need to switch more than this you could use a contactor.
hope this helps

Right, let me explain properly....

What i've got is a job spec for wiring a circuit to supply 4 x 2kw Dimplex panel heaters, and the circuit being controlled by an electronic time clock.

I have a few ideas but wondered the best solution as its not really something I've come across much?

thanks

Heres a link ,because your switching a resistive load ,heres a expensive but efficient solution ,Watlow Ltd-Power Controllers ,it might seem like overkill but combined in a suitable panel with a digital time clock would provide a first class job ,use 4 of the single phase contactors,each on its own radial ,"fused" in the control panel which you can easyly build to house it all ,
thats what i would do anyway

Heres a link ,because your switching a resistive load ,heres a expensive but efficient solution ,Watlow Ltd-Power Controllers ,it might seem like overkill but combined in a suitable panel with a digital time clock would provide a first class job ,use 4 of the single phase contactors,each on its own radial ,"fused" in the control panel which you can easyly build to house it all ,
thats what i would do anyway

Thats the way I would go also. Din rail time clock, four radials, a 4 pole contactor and a fused spur by each heater. Nice.

That sounds a good design,
my question would relate to the contactor.

Is it right that 4 x 2kw heaters all turning on at the same time would be right for the contactor?, as this is the switched load and not isolated load. 8000 watts divided by 230 volts would be in region of 35 amps, not taking into account diversity obviously as i dont know off top of my head and havent got book in front of me!

What's you feedback on this?, are these contactors designed for switching this type of load?, as i dont tend to use them myself.

Thanks Anyway!

That sounds a good design,
my question would relate to the contactor.

Is it right that 4 x 2kw heaters all turning on at the same time would be right for the contactor?, as this is the switched load and not isolated load. 8000 watts divided by 230 volts would be in region of 35 amps, not taking into account diversity obviously as i dont know off top of my head and havent got book in front of me!

What's you feedback on this?, are these contactors designed for switching this type of load?, as i dont tend to use them myself.

Thanks Anyway!

hi ,
contactors are made to switch loads which are not isolated ,ie ,on line , diverserty is not applicable in this case ,as the heater would be either on or off, i would be inclined to use single phase contactors so each heater could be controled seperate.
have a look at the link i put in the earlier post ,it wouldnt be essential to go to these lengths ,any contactor capable of switching the load would do.

hope that answers your question ,or have i missunderstod what it is your asking?

Reply to Time clock controlling a ring main? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock