Discuss Timed outdoor lights trip..then they don't? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum. I have a weird scenario and wondered if anyone might be able to help.

I have a Grasslin timer socket switch (not digital) in my garage. This powers 4x lights outside my house. I have 70 Watt bulbs in each. When they are set to come on, at 6pm, it trips the entire fuse box in the garage. The fuse box powers lights in garage, three more lights above each garage door and the three electric garage doors. When I flick the trip (note it's not the trip for the lights but the whole board) it all works fine. We've cleaned and checked all connections to lights, seem to be ok, would this mean the timer is the problem or are the light bulbs too strong? It doesn't make sense that the timer causes the trip yet it works as soon as the main fuse trip is turned back on. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

if it's RCD tripping, i's be looking for water ingress in the outside lights.

could well be. conductivity of water is extremely erratic. depends on whatever else is in the water as in any pollutants/chemicals/tree sap etc. the best answer is to call in a local electrician who will have the equipment to trace the problem. you could see what happens when the outside lights are disconnected from the timer ( both L and N need to be dissed).

Thanks for the reply, but when I flick the trip back on, it works right away, would it be water causing the issue in this case do you think?
It is the possible cause, but then again without an inspection it's hard to tell, if the fault continues then a visit from a local Electrician would be advised

Make sure you isolate (Switch the electric off) before you go opening box covers etc, at the Main Switch in the CU. Don't rely on individual circuit breakers as they will only switch the Live, not the Neutral.

Reply to Timed outdoor lights trip..then they don't? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock