Discuss Tonight’s announcement 23rd march in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

So frustrating,
What is essential work?
A it’s essential I go to work because I can’t do it from home
Or
B my work is not essential because it’s not providing food or medicine to people.

The words that left Boris mouth were....
“Traveling to and from work but only where this is absolutely necessary and can’t be done from home” that and the other 3 reasons are listed as exceptions to the existing government advice.....I know how I’m interpreting it.......obviously it’s pretty simple and straightforward for anyone who can sit back and be handed 80% of they wages not so for the majority of us on here I expect, I’d go further and say the reason he’s left open ended is because he knows that no money is forthcoming for self employed but obviously can’t say that.....the people that authorise UC don’t understand it so how could they speed it up?

Last edited:
Wishy washy in the language, but the overall gist is, we as a country are trying to slow the spread of the virus.
If that means forcing everyone stays indoors, then so be it.
If people had followed the guidelines earlier, we might have put this off a few days.

This is history lessons of the future. They will learn that half the people didn’t listen.
They closed the schools, kids played in the streets....
They closed the pubs, and drinkers crowded in for one last pint....

They are now telling you to stay at home.... so stay at home!
They will give some form of benefit, through UC or whatever, but in the meantime, do as you’re told.

Think common sense needs to prevail here as we are being asked to stay at home with some allowances to this. If you wish to compound the situation by going out and possibly aiding the virus spread and maybe bringing it home to expose your family, which in some instances could be fatal that is your choice.

This is my view.
Wholesalers can not fully close, supplies will be needed for the health service and food chain if nothing else.
They may reduce the number of branches and in some areas may man the branches 24hrs instead of the call out service they offer at the moment.

Finishing off a rewire already started in an occupied house to me is essential, as would finishing off a heating install for a plumber.
Replacing sockets or anything else damaged / not working.

Starting any new work would not be essential.

So HM twitter account showing a vid saying key worker, but other HM web sites saying go to work if you absolutely can't do it from home, so they don't know themselves.
Sounds about right.

Here's a tweet at 10.03pm from Robert Jenrick, who is the MP for Newark and Secretary of State for Housing, Communities & Local Government

View: https://twitter.com/RobertJenrick/status/1242210351007096836

Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 22.12.44.png

Agree very unclear and my guess is the reason for that is if he says self employed must stay home then surely liable to cover their wages? They are trying to worm out of it...also a Boris fan but if he doesn't support us he has lost my vote.

Other words that left the mouth of the PM were "If you don't follow the rules the police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings." Pretty clear what the government want us to do.

Other words that left the mouth of the PM were "If you don't follow the rules the police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings." Pretty clear what the government want us to do.
If they wanted us to do that I think they’d have made it crystal clear instead of just pretty clear.....

In the right circumstances it’s fine to continue to work as shown above I.e empty building working on own or with limited colleagues and complying with all social distancing, washing of hands etc. But obviously working in homes of clients is a crazy idea!! To risk not only your own health but the health and possible lives of others is irresponsible at best and downright reckless. If people can’t learn from what we have seen across the world with the ever increasing death rate in Italy, Spain etc then what hope have we got?? The virus is the same world over don’t think your special and in some way super human, STAY AT HOME.
I’ll be as skint as the next man in a week but I’d rather be satisfied I did my bit as should everybody and this pandemic WILL end Sooner if we all assist each other.
rant over!!!!!

I think Boris is operating under very difficult circumstances and I commend him and I have no time for any politician. The statement he made was not specific with regard to an individuals circumstances it was a generic statement to the nation, I doubt no other message like this has been made since the second world war.

I’m working in an empty house directly opposite mine I think I’ll be ok ?......the end of my garden is further from the front of my house than the house I’m working in.......my argument is more for all the poor sods who arnt so lucky and by the looks of it are being conveniently hung out to dry by the government

I'll be going out to replace a faulty RCD I looked at this afternoon, it's a seperate RCD feeding a CU which does all sockets in the house.
At first we thought it was the new boiler installation that was tripping it, but then I found its tripping at 13mA with all loads isolated, and you can make it trip by tapping the enclosure its in with a screwdriver.

After that I have an empty house to do some work on (I never thought I'd be doing domestic work again) but there's going to be plumbers there and we all know they can be pretty contagious at the best of times!

I’m working in an empty house directly opposite mine I think I’ll be ok ?......the end of my garden is further from the front of my house than the house I’m working in.......my argument is more for all the poor sods who arnt so lucky and by the looks of it are being conveniently hung out to dry by the government
I agree 100%

No one is being hung out to dry these are exceptional circumstances. You want to see some poor sods look at the situation in Italy and don't think for one moment we may not be heading the same way.

No one is being hung out to dry these are exceptional circumstances. You want to see some poor sods look at the situation in Italy and don't think for one moment we may not be heading the same way.
Not arguing with that fact @weatward and just for the record I won’t be attending any jobs that are not essential.....but the government took the time under these exceptional circuits to ensure the majority had money for food and medicines but did nothing for the self employed, I don’t get any benefits and I need regular prescriptions from my accident and pre existing medical condition, what am I to do?....I’m certainly not alone in these circumstances I’m sure...

The only reasons you may leave your home.

To go to work if you're a key worker
Shop for groceries
Exercise
Provide care or help.

Are electricians key workers...
In many circumstances, yes. Is an emergency generator necessary in a hospital, or a food production line important? There are dozens of reasons why they are needed in this crisis.

Reply to Tonight’s announcement 23rd march in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net