Discuss Tonight’s announcement 23rd march in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

No one is being hung out to dry these are exceptional circumstances. You want to see some poor sods look at the situation in Italy and don't think for one moment we may not be heading the same way.
My 100% agreement was more for the empty house working and not the hung out to dry comment. the circumstances are exceptional to say the least, tragic figures in Italy just awful.

typical government announcement they never make anything clear. But until they offer financial help its work as normal as possible for me. We cant pay any fines anyway if were not earning and they are not helping us

typical government announcement they never make anything clear. But until they offer financial help its work as normal as possible for me. We cant pay any fines anyway if were not earning and they are not helping us
Go ahead then and put money before your health and the health of your family and others. To stop this virus quickly and to help the NHS people need to start listening.

If he made clear every possible individual scenario in the announcement then he would have been going on for hours, and everyone would have stopped watching by the time he got to the bit that covers them.

The overall message is pretty clear, if your work isn't critical then don't go to work.

I'll be working tomorrow just to complete an urgent repair and then I'll be back home.
[automerge]1585005010[/automerge]
Is that in progress or is it something that may come in?
Hearsay has it that it is at the proposal stage

The progress of the coronavirus bill can be tracked on the government website, I can't remeber exactly where at the moment but should be accessible through legislation.gov.uk
It should have had its second reading in the house of commons by now so I think it will be read in the house of Lords shortly.

So as long as we're inside properties that are empty ie commercial or domestic we can still work,
That's the interpretation of my manager
Your manager is wrong the PM said
“From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home. Because the critical thing we must do is stop the disease spreading between households." He also went on to say “You should not be meeting family members who do not live in your home.” This means you can’t even visit family let alone plod on and go to work unnecessarily.

Why can't people think for themselves these days?
It's not exactly hard to see the indirect ways that staying at home will help.
The NHS is under major stress at the moment, so as well as reducing the spread of the disease we need to reduce the workload on the NHS in any other way possible.
If everyone stays at home as much as possible the number of accidents occurring which take up emergency services and hospital time will be greatly reduced.

So you're merrily working away in your empty building and have an accident, or have an accident on the way home, then you'll be taking up time in an A&E department and exposing yourself to the risk of catching the coronavirus.

Stop looking for what you think are loopholes in the announcements and take the time to understand what is going on and what the intention is.

These are the only sectors that should be at work. Utilities is as close as we get but thats of course for supply to a property (DNO)
I am stopping my guys as of tonight apart from essential necessary works eg loss of power or potentially dangerous situations. Feel we have a duty to do our bit to prevent the spread of this virus to customers, public and staff.

Attachments

• 2FF3CEA4-6C81-4E22-823D-960F5ED08C3F.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 4BDA6ED4-20A7-4C97-AF7E-674053525998.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 16
I read it the same way as Baddegg. The emphasis was on the travel being necessary to do the job, as oppossed to the job itself.
To be honest, they know a 100% lockdown is impractical, and probably not necessary. Provided a given % of population stay home, then the goal of flattening the curve can be achieved, without bankrupting the self employed, and leaving the homebound populous without power and lighting. I think the bigger issue will be supply of materials. Already had an email from BEW announcing branch closures from today. Stark contrast to the barrage of 'open for business' emails only last week.

I have just told all of my engineers to stay at home until we can get clarity on what is essential, we look after food production centres and key worker accommodation sites, but until we can confirm with them they are happy for us to be on site we will not be going.

Why can't people think for themselves these days?
It's not exactly hard to see the indirect ways that staying at home will help.
The NHS is under major stress at the moment, so as well as reducing the spread of the disease we need to reduce the workload on the NHS in any other way possible.
If everyone stays at home as much as possible the number of accidents occurring which take up emergency services and hospital time will be greatly reduced.

So you're merrily working away in your empty building and have an accident, or have an accident on the way home, then you'll be taking up time in an A&E department and exposing yourself .....

um... don’t most accidents happen in the home?;)

I know... I get what you’re saying

I’ve called off all my jobs via Facebook now. I’ve got to stay indoors with my wife and kids.
Pray for me!

My wife does sensory classes for babies, and they are going online, so I’m playing as a speilberg director tomorrow. Cameraman, director and editor.

...I’d go further and say the reason he’s left open ended is because he knows that no money is forthcoming for self employed...
It has to be vague because there is no time to write a 5,000 page document defining each and every little tiny detail !!!!!

In the olden days... we had a thing called "Common Sense"... but that was officially banned under the Blair/Brown years when they introduced the concept that you are entitled to do whatever you want, unless there's a specific law against it.

Reply to Tonight’s announcement 23rd march in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net