Discuss Trailer Electrics Question - Rear Tail Light Blow Fuse in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a horse trailer, which seems to blow the fuse in my car for the 'Right Hand Tail Light'.

When using the trailer, it will blow the fuse (not right away), knocking out the rear tail light on my car, and the rear tail light cluster (not indicators) on the trailer.

I've followed the electric cable and it seems to be sound.

However, I've looked at the tail light holder (see image). It looks corroded. Could that be the reason is eventually blows the fuse whilst in use?

Is that likely to be the culprit? Am I better leaving the bulb out so that it doesn't blow the fuse, or leave bulb in?

Any advice appreciated as to whether I can clean it up or whether it needs a new holder.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Trailer Electrics Question - Rear Tail Light Blow Fuse IMG_20200831_092838 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200831_092838.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 14
You need to test the wiring properly to identify the location of the fault and it may mean you need a new light cluster
If you need to leave the bulb out leave the trailer at home until it is repaired or you risk being pulled by the police for having a defective light and then they may find other defects which could mean it is an expensive day out with points and a fine

I agree with UNG. If you do go down the route of new lamp clusters look for LED ones, they are much smarter looking, more robust and more weatherproof.

Hi,it does look rough enough to justify changing,but just check,you have the correct 5/21W double contact lamp fitted and not a single contact type.

Reply to Trailer Electrics Question - Rear Tail Light Blow Fuse in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock