Discuss Training As An Electrician in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

If your son was born in South Africa you may need to check on whether he can work in this country as the government are changing the goalposts for overseas people not born in the EU.

He has a full British Passport with "right of abode" so no problem whatsoever there. My wife is the only one who has to go through the "Non-British" line when we go through immigration control at Heathrow Airport.

Hi Moswtd

Option 1) Pay 6k and your son tries to gain work after he has completed the courses.

Option 2) Go to college part time C&g 2330 l2,l3 and try and get work as an apprentice or mate while doing the course in the evening.

Option 3) Go to college full time and try and gain weekend work in the trade to gain experience for a full time position at the end of your course.

Option 4) Stratford-upon-Avon College do a distance learning course i think its 900 quid for the l2 and l3 and try and get work in the trade while finishing the course.

There may be other options some of the guys on the site may have other ideas, but just by looking at the options i think your son will have to be as determined as Bane has shown on previous posts to gain access into the trade, at the end of the day it is down to him.

cheers.

Ok here is a typical option, with my company Access Training:

4 weeks training spread over 4 seperate weeks covering:

Introduction to Electricity
EAL Domestic Electric Installer VRQ
C&G 2382-10 17th Edition wiring regs
C&G 2392 Fundamental Inspection & Testing of Electrical Installations
C&G 2391 Inspection & Testing of Electrical Installations

The EAL is based on domestic installations, but the other three quals are commercial, industrial & domestic.

Our students often find employment after the first two weeks of training, and we have placed them in all three sectors of the industry.

Prices vary, but I can generally do a good deal for forum members at under 5k.

Once working in the industry and earning, the next logical option would be to enrol on a day release 2330 course, it is the ideal solution, as he would be using the initial training to get his foot in the door.

It is worth bearing in mind as well, that certainly the 2382 and 2391 are generally quals that would be completed AFTER 2330, your son would allready have a very good head start

PM me if you want more details, you may click on our sponsors link, but you may not get such favourable rates as I can give to forum members

good luck

Hi, I too am a mum and I would like info on Trade skills 4 U. My son does want to do a course, he already is an electricians mate but struggles with exams. The comapny that he works for cannot fault his skills, just his mental blcok at exams. As i shall be paying for the course, not becuase i am fussing (only a little bit) i would like some feed back.

Well it must be interfering Mum day today then...........you can't blame us really, we can't help ourselves! My son is 20, managed to get himself some temp mate work but it only lasted 5 weeks.......and it was the first job he has done since leaving school which he loved, even though he was squashed in cupboards and lofts! That was 3 weeks ago and he is trying to fins another job. He is determined on that front I am surfing the net to see what I can find course wise too as he knows he needs to do that aswell.

Anyway it's all new ground for him and I am being a supportive Mum, although he has no idea I am on here and would be seriously unimpressed if I started touting for work for him - but I'll deal with that if anything comes up - I am sure he wouldn't turn it down if I came up with something before him!

Shakey - I will pm you to find out more course info from you too - thanks

Hi, I too am a mum and I would like info on Trade skills 4 U. My son does want to do a course, he already is an electricians mate but struggles with exams. The comapny that he works for cannot fault his skills, just his mental blcok at exams. As i shall be paying for the course, not becuase i am fussing (only a little bit) i would like some feed back.

If he struggles with exams, you can pay for an electricians course but if he fails the exams will it be money well spent?

Reply to Training As An Electrician in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net