UK Treehouse

Discuss Treehouse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all, I’ve been asked to provide power for a decent sized domestic tree house. Power useage will be lighting and 1 13a socket , to be used for powering radio, cd etc. Probably going to be fed via swa buried, with 30ma rcd on supply side. My question is should I add a supplemental earth, using earth rod, or treat it as a TT system, and protect the swa using existing TNCS. It’s a new one on me to power a treehouse.

Treat it like a garden shed.

Also, be aware that trees move in the wind, so consider using a more flexible cable for the final run from ground level to tree house.

Finally, remember that trees grow, in 5 years time the house could be a foot higher off the ground than it is now.

When running cable up tree, run it up in a wavy s type shape so as the tree grows, the cable straightens instead of pulling drum tight.

Probably going to be fed via swa buried, with 30ma rcd on supply side. My question is should I add a supplemental earth, using earth rod, or treat it as a TT system, and protect the swa using existing TNCS. It’s a new one on me to power a treehouse.

What reason do you see for installing an earth rod?

Morning all, I’ve been asked to provide power for a decent sized domestic tree house. Power useage will be lighting and 1 13a socket , to be used for powering radio, cd etc. Probably going to be fed via swa buried, with 30ma rcd on supply side. My question is should I add a supplemental earth, using earth rod, or treat it as a TT system, and protect the swa using existing TNCS. It’s a new one on me to power a treehouse.
You won't need an Earth, just TREE it lol, might need to bond the branches though.:D:D

I'd personally go for a solar and/or battery arrangement. Seems a lot of expense and work just to run a radio and light.

I'd personally go for a solar and/or battery arrangement. Seems a lot of expense and work just to run a radio and light.
but next year they will want a £15Kkitchen,sauna and a 12.5kW shower. youknow what customers are like

but next year they will want a £15Kkitchen,sauna and a 12.5kW shower. youknow what customers are like

Good point, I would do it in 16mm for future proofing the installation.
Mind you, that is quite a lot to fit in a tree house, MUST BE A BIG TREE!!

Good point, I would do it in 16mm for future proofing the installation.
Mind you, that is quite a lot to fit in a tree house, MUST BE A BIG TREE!!
i imagine if it was a small tree, it would have been a treehut, not a treehouse.

i imagine if it was a small tree, it would have been a treehut, not a treehouse.
It’s definitely a tree house, not a tree hut!! I’m trying to get the customer to go for solar etc, but having just been sent some photos of the site, I’m hoping he’s going to go for solar etc. I don’t think he’ll want me digging up his immaculate lawn. But we’ll see tomorrow!!
Supplementary earthing? I can't say I've ever seen that in BS7671, can you explain a bit further?
I was thinking more of possibly setting it up as a TT system, without exporting the house CPC. Hopefully tomorrow’s site visit will enlighten me , more!
[automerge]1583425350[/automerge]

It’s definitely a tree house, not a tree hut!! I’m trying to get the customer to go for solar etc, but having just been sent some photos of the site, I’m hoping he’s going to go for solar etc. I don’t think he’ll want me digging up his immaculate lawn. But we’ll see tomorrow!!

I was thinking more of possibly setting it up as a TT system, without exporting the house CPC. Hopefully tomorrow’s site visit will enlighten me , more!
[automerge]1583425350[/automerge]

What's the reason for not using the house earth?

When I was young, I drew up a design for the power switchboard for my proposed treehouse. It was all to be 12V, with a 100Ah battery in a box at ground level, charged by a car dynamo driven by a lawnmower engine (solar was not yet an option.) All the plans and cutting lists checked out and the project was ready to go. Fast forward to 2020, I still have the drawings in the loft somewhere, and given another ten or twenty years I reckon the tree will be big enough to start building.

I don't see any likely reason for needing to do that in a treehouse.
I doubt very much that there'll be a copper water main running up into it!

What's the reason for not using the house earth?
After this mornings site visit, all is good. Customer neglected to tell me there is a shed with power and DB less than a meter away from said tree house, fed with 6mm SWA. All good, tested supply to shed, all figures good. So a nice simple job, 1 twin socket, 2 led floods outside, internal leds, plus I got the extra job of insulating and boarding the inside. Bonus, nice 1 1/2 days work at the right money. Plus extra work fitting Hive bits. All is good. Thanks guys for your opinions.

if you'd have started back then and built it at ground level (no climbing) by now it would be 15feet up and ready for ladder access. ( reply meant for Lucien's post),
[automerge]1583488354[/automerge]
Jack Lucien and the Beanstalk.

Last edited:

Reply to Treehouse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock