Discuss Tricky (to me at least) 4-way switch problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

easiebold

DIY
Reaction score
I've inherited a home with wiring in place but not all connected. I can't locate the original electrician who did the work about 2+ years ago.
I have four switches. Line power goes into switch 1 (a 3-way switch) then over via 3-wire cable to switch 2 which has a feed to 4 can lights (install a 4 way switch?), then a 3-wire cable over to switch 3 (another 4-way switch?) which has another feed to another 4 can lights and yet another 3-wire cable to switch 4. At switch 4 I have two wires back to switch 3. At switch 4 I also have two wires which need constant (UNswitched) power for a stove hood vent feed and an outdoor fixture.

I've drawn several possible wiring diagrams, attached wires in several configurations, and generally spit into the wind for about two weeks.
The only line power I can determine is at switch 1.

After watching many, many UTube videos I found this forum.
Can anyone come up with a workable schematic I can use?

Thank you in advance!!
Allen

How about using a wireless switch, like a Quinetic Wireless Switch? Then you can have your four switches controlling the light, without having to sort out the wiring of the switches.

I think professional electricians can pinpoint and fix electrical issues, saving you significant time. They use their expertise to resolve the situation quickly.
bostonelectricma: I tend to agree. Two days after my original post I did finally locate the originating electrician. Then I saw him when he made a purchase at the big orange box store I work at. He told me to call him. I called him three times and left messages with my name, address and phone number, asking for an cost estimate for finishing the project. I have a photo now of his truck with name and phone number so I know I called the correct number. When he finally returned my call (a week ago), he told me that he was 'no longer interested' in the project (I guess at any cost). Previous to finding him I had contacted two other electricians who performed other work at the house--'not interested' in finishing someone else's work.
So I did what I should have done at the beginning-- I added an additional feed and changed the whole 'plan' he had set up. Everything works just fine now-- with no help from the professionals, not that I didn't try.

bostonelectricma: I tend to agree. Two days after my original post I did finally locate the originating electrician. Then I saw him when he made a purchase at the big orange box store I work at. He told me to call him. I called him three times and left messages with my name, address and phone number, asking for an cost estimate for finishing the project. I have a photo now of his truck with name and phone number so I know I called the correct number. When he finally returned my call (a week ago), he told me that he was 'no longer interested' in the project (I guess at any cost). Previous to finding him I had contacted two other electricians who performed other work at the house--'not interested' in finishing someone else's work.
So I did what I should have done at the beginning-- I added an additional feed and changed the whole 'plan' he had set up. Everything works just fine now-- with no help from the professionals, not that I didn't try.
I’m impressed for what you have done. Good job.

Reply to Tricky (to me at least) 4-way switch problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock