Discuss Triple Light Switch - So many wires??? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I decided to turn my triple switch in the middle of the wall to a double and single switch by moving them apart. A TV is to be wall mounted between them.

When I opened the light switch there were more wires than I expected and I can't work out how to divide them so they work. I am tried to disconnect one item first and ensuring the rest still work, which I thought was a good way of working, but whenever I remove one part it all stops working.

The triple switch consists of (from left to right)
> bathroom light (2 spots and a standard bulb)
> bathroom extractor fan
> bedroom light (single light)
All are operated from this one single triple switch.

Opening the switch up, there are:

5 Black wires all joined together but not connected to the switch.
5 Earth wires all joined together but not connected to the switch.

From top, left to right on the switch:
L2 - Red Wire
L3 - Empty
L1 - 1 Red Wire
L2 - 1 Red Wire
L3 - Empty

L1 - 1 Grey Wire
L2 - 1 Red Wire
L3 - Empty
L1 - Red Wire

between the second set of wires above, L1 and L2 are connected with a short red wire, and then the L2 and the second L1 are connected with a short wire.

Any advice on how I should go about in determining what group of wires are for which item so that I can get to splitting these apart?

Also, anyone able to explain why the small wires are going between the L1's and L2's and if I have to do the same thing on my new switch?

Any advice on how I should go about in determining what group of wires are for which item so that I can get to splitting these apart?
Don't touch it! Leave it alone! Please get an electrician to look at it, if you take it to bits you will not get it back together. You have been warned:eek:

if you post your location, sure one of us is close enough to sort this out without it costing an arm and a leg. or you could call Harry Potter. :)

I certainly wouldn't suggest anything without seeing it as its not unheard of for wiring to be done as the installer sees fit and only they understand. so the next person who comes along has no chance.
Best advice is get an electrician in who can inspect and do it for you.
Once had to sort out some wiring in a sports club changing rooms with live, neutral and earth all wired in red singles in conduit! made sorting it interesting, it was put in for free by a guy who played on one of the rugby teams who claimed he was an electrician.

I certainly wouldn't suggest anything without seeing it as its not unheard of for wiring to be done as the installer sees fit and only they understand. so the next person who comes along has no chance.
Best advice is get an electrician in who can inspect and do it for you.
Once had to sort out some wiring in a sports club changing rooms with live, neutral and earth all wired in red singles in conduit! made sorting it interesting, it was put in for free by a guy who played on one of the rugby teams who claimed he was an electrician.
What sort of electrician would only pinch red cable off the site to do a fiddle job?:confused:

well, we all know that rugby players are plumbers with their brains removed.

What sort of electrician would only pinch red cable off the site to do a fiddle job?:confused:
bloody obvious. it was before brown came in. DOH.

bloody obvious. it was before brown came in. DOH.
Well this was just before Easter 2012 so the colours had changed a few years before then! No doubt it was something lying around and he thought that will do. This will make @telectrix smile, he was also the club plumber not that he was qualified mind, he did the toilets and showers which were always failing to work... In his eagerness to be useful he never considered if the work was anygood and as he was free nobody thought to ask if he was qualified!

The connections sound straight forward, supply in and out with a live link across the switches and three feeds out. They all serve the bathroom so why would you separate them to fit a tv. How would a separate two gang and one gang make a difference surely the three gang is the same dimensions as a two gang?

The connections sound straight forward, supply in and out with a live link across the switches and three feeds out. They all serve the bathroom so why would you separate them to fit a tv. How would a separate two gang and one gang make a difference surely the three gang is the same dimensions as a two gang?
logical thinking after beer o'clock.I'm impressed.

Totally lost by what you are trying to achieve with this, I don't see the point of it at all.

Wonder if the OP will watch X factor on his new telly when he gets it on the wall between his two light switches?

most wall mounted TVs have at lreast 2 " clearance behind them.plenty of room for a poxy light switch.

Triple Light Switch - So many wires??? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Triple Light Switch - So many wires??? ima - EletriciansForums.net This could be used to operate switches behind tv?

Why would you separate a three gang for a single and double how does it make more space.

The OP's post is very well worded...could be a rat-in-a-tin ;)

(Forgot you lot didn't grow up with me...long story short,pals dad had issues with an impromptu meeting of a dozen dog trainers,with dogs,gathering on a Sunday,parking everywhere,poo and litter,etc...We were young:rolleyes:,got down early,put a large rat in a Rover biscuit tin with holes,buried it in their training circle,just below the turf...

Absolutely hilarious consequences,took them 30 minutes to jack,dogs all needed throat lozenges ...):p

Reply to Triple Light Switch - So many wires??? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock