Discuss Trying to find a certain type of plug. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

ChrisMayhew

Hey guys

Im not an Electrician but I couldn't really think of a better place to ask this.

I am trying to find a certain type of plug, i have managed to find an image for it but i really can't find anywhere on the internet that sells them. Mainly because i don't have the actual name of the plug. :(

I have attached the image, if you could find a shop on the net that sells them or the name of them that would be awesome.

Its only a really small plug but i have zoomed it in a bit so you can get a better look at it.

Thanks.
--
Chris

Attachments

• Trying to find a certain type of plug. PowerConnector - EletriciansForums.net
    PowerConnector.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 66
Hey guys

Im not an Electrician but I couldn't really think of a better place to ask this.

I am trying to find a certain type of plug, i have managed to find an image for it but i really can't find anywhere on the internet that sells them. Mainly because i don't have the actual name of the plug. :(

I have attached the image, if you could find a shop on the net that sells them or the name of them that would be awesome.

Its only a really small plug but i have zoomed it in a bit so you can get a better look at it.

Thanks.
--
Chris

Hi Chris welcome!

Looks like some kind of jack plug? Not famliar with it myself but you could try Maplins?

Here's a link

Maplin Electronics â„¢ Website- InCar SD Journey Recorder

They may stock or know a source for it. Whats it for?

Hope this helps!

Warren

Hi Chris welcome!

Looks like some kind of jack plug? Not famliar with it myself but you could try Maplins?

Here's a link

Maplin Electronics â„¢ Website- InCar SD Journey Recorder

They may stock or know a source for it. Whats it for?

Hope this helps!

Warren

Thanks for the reply :)

I have been on Maplin's web site and couldn't find them :(

It is actually for a model train, i want to put LED lights in all the carriages but i need a way to pass the wires from the from train all the way through the carriages, but i also need to be able to connect and disconnect them when i remove the carriages. If you get what i mean.

It needs to be fairly small so they don't stand out too much and that is the only small plug i could think of, having seen them before on a PC mod i have had once.

:)

It does sound like its right up Maplins street though, why not take a trip to a store with your plug to see if they have anything like it or more suitable?

Can't really think of anything that small that we would use to be honest - sorry.

Maybe someone else knows somewhere?

It does sound like its right up Maplins street though, why not take a trip to a store with your plug to see if they have anything like it or more suitable?

Can't really think of anything that small that we would use to be honest - sorry.

Maybe someone else knows somewhere?

Unfortunately i don't have the plug, I was lucky enough to find a picture of one on a UV LED computer light on the internet.

But thanks anyway, i'll try emailing Maplin and send them the picture and see what they say. :)

That sounds like the type of connector used for computer fans, which you would indeed be most likely to find at Maplins (electronics shop).
Alternatively if it's an electric model railway you could use a bit of wire to make a 'brush' to take power from the rails via one of the wheels; the lights in the carriage would only be lit when the train is in motion, but you wouldn't have to worry about switching the lights on and off, or connecting between carriages.
I think some model shops sell this kind of thing as a kit.

That sounds like the type of connector used for computer fans, which you would indeed be most likely to find at Maplins (electronics shop).
Alternatively if it's an electric model railway you could use a bit of wire to make a 'brush' to take power from the rails via one of the wheels; the lights in the carriage would only be lit when the train is in motion, but you wouldn't have to worry about switching the lights on and off, or connecting between carriages.
I think some model shops sell this kind of thing as a kit.

I had the idea of taking the power from with the wheels. But with DCC you are able to switch the lights on and off using the digital chip inside.

So the reason i wanted to wire them all to the first carriage would be to make them all go on and off when i press the function buttons.

Thanks for the replies, i'll keep looking :)

I dont know if there is a specific site for this but may I suggest a model shop that supplies miniature lighting for dolls houses - it may sound daft but I have seen tiny lights that have very small plugs and sockets - hope this helps

Reply to Trying to find a certain type of plug. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock