Discuss Twin and earth in pipe... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Every time I have costed up a domestic garage / shed / workspace for using metal conduit every time it comes out too expensive for the homeowners.
The best I can then offer it normally pvc conduit or mini trunking

Let's be serious. There are perfectly good wall cavities there, why would you use any conduit at all? Conduit doesn't only look terrible, it is going to derate the cable.
Be professional and put the cables where they belong.... out of sight.
There's lots of celotox sheet kicking about so i would think that would be behind the cladding. That's likely to derate the cable anyway if recessed, whether in conduit or not.

There's lots of celotox sheet kicking about so i would think that would be behind the cladding.
Regardless of the insulation, the cable should have been run before the sheets were nailed on. Any qualified electrician that has pride in his work and likes to see the job done right, would never run all that conduit when the finished job is easier, quicker and looks so much better by hiding the cables.

You don't seriously think all this conduit looks good?

Regardless of the insulation, the cable should have been run before the sheets were nailed on. Any qualified electrician that has pride in his work and likes to see the job done right, would never run all that conduit when the finished job is easier, quicker and looks so much better by hiding the cables.

You don't seriously think all this conduit looks good?
Like I said earlier in the thread, my preferred method would be installed behind the cladding, I agree with that totally. I was just picking up the point about derating, which in this case would neither here nor there.

Conduit run horizontally looks a bit naff at the best of times. If it were my shed I would have run the cable around up in the rafters and dropped down in short bits of conduit just for the drops.
I might have even been tempted to use galv for the drops if money and time were aplenty...

Yuck :(
Aesthetically, the way he's gone up to one socket then across to the next looks naff. I' have either put a tee box centrally between the two sockets or had two vertical runs.
And as for the way the in and out at the light switch don't line up, that's just offensive o_O
But then we see the outside connections - WTF !
Why didn't he cut the hole in the back of the box before fitting it, and then use an adapter and bush to fit the conduit properly to the back of it ? And he might have considered doing the back of the socket so as not to completely compromise the ingress protection of the socket :rolleyes:
There's more, but I think that's enough.

I’ve just endure part 2. There’s so much that’s wrong and highlights imho that this guy has had proper training and knows what he’s talking about. Regrettably the public will watch this and use it as a guide to wire up a shed ?
[automerge]1571776478[/automerge]
Sorry, just got to run back to tool station to buy some more tat!

Part 2 - [Warning it’s blooming long winded]...

[automerge]1571783506[/automerge]
Stop knocking toolstation and screwfix. They are really handy for most small bits and pieces. The wholesalers are not always within easy reach or have everything in stock!

Love s bit of screwfix and toolstation

The Led bulbs I have in my house were on sale at screwfix for 99p each and not one failure in 3.5 years thus far...

Even thou it is only a garage, it still looks terrible. What if the owner eventually turns it into a man cave or something similar.

Doing an amateurish job and trying to convince everyone via youtube that you are doing the job of a professional is just being a snakeoil salesman.

Maybe two nuts on threaded end of earth rod, nut driver in impact driver?

Dusk to dawn sensor...maybe some round black cable to fit the gland properly and prevent UV degradation?

Lighting...so much cable and plastic conduit...maybe quinetic switches to save cabling to switch drops?

@Cid why can’t we (or I) knock TS or SF? Do you have shares in them ?

I’m guessing for the majority of the country wholesalers and these DIY outlets are very close to each other.

If TS and/or SF are proper wholesalers how come they don’t sell Hager products. And in the context of the video why don’t they sell Marshall Tufftex conduit?

It looks (to me) very amateurish that the chap in the video had to keep nipping off to buy stuff (poor planning and preparation) and then returns laden with carrier bags; particularly in the context of the ‘rough as a badgers’ ar&e job he did with numerous electrical theory and practical application mistakes.

But that’s just my 2cents...

I think people are jumping the gun. In jobs like this the cable routing would have been agreed with the customer beforehand. Perhaps they want to hang stuff above the sockets?

Let's be serious. There are perfectly good wall cavities there, why would you use any conduit at all? Conduit doesn't only look terrible, it is going to derate the cable.
Be professional and put the cables where they belong.... out of sight.

I forgot you Aussies can’t do steel conduit.

Like someone else said Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If the shed was a carcass then great... no conduits. Professional Job. Hooray

What would be your suggestions in that situation? Catenary wire?

What do they use for surface wiring in Australia ?
In other parts of the world they use metal flexibility conduit or thin walled metal ridged tubing for example...

Plastic conduit. Different diameter thicknesses, Different colour depending on application. Orange underground. Grey power, white for comms.

Catenary wires, Cable tray etc for other applications.

Steel Conduit for heavy industrial although most of the time it’s stop start.

Plastic enclosures....Unless your doing EEHA junction boxes

Reply to Twin and earth in pipe... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net