Discuss Twin&earth and SWA installed loose on floor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have noticed the “rise” of the notified work with no certificates passed to the home owner ......... The BBB clearly states that the EIC or MWC should be passed to the owner ...
To the person ordering the work.
Seems to be fairly standard to just drape cables on the floor 7nder kitchen cupboards.
Sent some of the round JBs under the cupboards as well.
A diameter of only 15mm, does suggest a small CSA for the SWA.
Is it 2 core or 3?

Agree on trunking/conduit for appliance areas. I have no issues with draping cables under base cabinets...why ? Mechanical damage is unlikely once fitted. Be too accurate with cables from wall and carpenters final adjustments can throw positions out along with last min design changes/decisions when usually the electrician is not involved. It is easier to get cables around pipework, less chasing, adaptable in future for a new kitchen layout. Chased in many back boxes in first fix only to see units changed around..oh plinth heaters added last min on 2nd fix...no problem. Found too many electrical faults in kitchens, with cables properly chased in walls, due to kitchen fits.

Last edited:
Does no one have safety concerns for the spider in the pic?

Hum ..... let me quote from BYB p416

"If you are the person ordering the work, but not the owner of the installation, you should pass the certificate , or a full copy of it including the schedules, immediately to the owner"

17th Edition 632.1, AMD1, AMD2 & AMD3 Following the initial verification required by Chapter 61, an Electrical Installation Certificate, togetherwith schedules of inspection and schedules of test results, shall be given to the person ordering the work. These schedules shall be based on the models given in Appendix 6.

18th Edition 644.1 Except where Regulation 644.4.201 applies, upon completion of the verification of a new installation or an addition or alteration to an existing installation, including the replacement of a distribution board or consumer unit, an Electrical Installation Certificate based on the model given in Appendix 6 shall be issued to the person ordering the work.

So... my brother cannot see the spec of the SWA embossed on it anywhere, but has just measured the OD of it: actually only 12mm.
By my reading of the datasheets, that makes it 1.5sqmm x 2 or 3 core.
So the CCC of SWA is much higher than that for the equivalent T&E (or tri-rated cable that I'm familiar with), but 1.5 still tops out at 27 or 29A, and I'd like to bet that the MCB is 32A rated...

Also, we can now confirm that there is an SWA gland into the CU, but no gland into the isolator - which is fitted in an inaccessible void behind a kitchen cabinet, so is no use as an isolator i.e. just functions as a terminal box...

Think you are all forgetting who installed this cable, my take 2 core with a clip on the armour at each end for the cpc:rolleyes:

So... my brother cannot see the spec of the SWA embossed on it anywhere, but has just measured the OD of it: actually only 12mm.
By my reading of the datasheets, that makes it 1.5sqmm x 2 or 3 core.
So the CCC of SWA is much higher than that for the equivalent T&E (or tri-rated cable that I'm familiar with), but 1.5 still tops out at 27 or 29A, and I'd like to bet that the MCB is 32A rated...

Also, we can now confirm that there is an SWA gland into the CU, but no gland into the isolator - which is fitted in an inaccessible void behind a kitchen cabinet, so is no use as an isolator i.e. just functions as a terminal box...

Measuring the diameter is a bit hit & miss, a competent sparks would be able to assess the conductor size. In your picture, the swa looks bigger then 12mm OD, comparing it to the tw&e cables?

The isolator in 'an inaccessible void behind a kitchen cabinet', could you explain more, how is your brother expected to isolate the cooker?

Reply to Twin&earth and SWA installed loose on floor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net