Discuss Type 'A' RCD test results in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

happyhippydad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Well that was interesting. Is that actually saying that it is incorrect to test a x5 on the 30mA setting (i.e. 150mA) and saying that we should be testing a 30mA RCD on the 300mA setting in order to make sure it is tripping within 40mS at x 5?

Aico 3000
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Hager devices are manufactured to disconnect within 40ms with a test current of 250ma, this is obviously above the ×5 we are accustomed to testing at but is inline with EN61008.
Regulation 643.8 does not specify a precise ×5 test current, it states ×5 or above which takes into account this 250ma. Personally to me if it trips within requirements at ×5 then it is fine.

AJshep

-
Esteemed
Arms
The early Hager guidance of testing their A type RCDs was a bit of a cop out in my opinion. Westwood sums it up in his post above.
Never understood why everyone else could make a 30mA type A RCD trip at 30ms at 150mA but Hager couldn't.

At least they seem to have brought their devices inline with everyone else now.

Reply to Type 'A' RCD test results in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net