Discuss Type A RCD's and testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Following on from a recent topic on here I thought I'd start a poll on this. Various videos on youtube are suggesting we should be thinking about phasing out Type AC RCD's and use Type A instead

See Sparky Ninja here

Also of interest is GSH Electrical's video
which deals with problems testing Hager's Type A RCD's and Hager's guidance on how to work around the problem.

I noticed on this video that the Megger 1700 series tester they were using has a specific test mode for Type A RCD's. As far as I can see, my Megger 1553 doesn't have this capability. I can find no guidance on whether it is acceptable to continue testing Type A RCD's with the Megger 1500 series on 'AC' setting.

Any thoughts?

i've got a 1553 and would like to know as well.

Hi guys,
I may be wrong and maybe one of the other guys on here with more experience will correct me, the megger 1700 series have the facility to test type a rcd in an all in one test. I have a 1552 and thinking with the older model it has a facility to switch between ac and DC, so maybe that you will need to test the rcd on ac, then switch and test to DC and then take the worst case readings to enter on the certificate. This is the way I see it, I may be wrong and open to be putting right by others. As a side note I was reading up on the hager website about rcd types and if you intend to instsll PV or electric vehicle chargers you may need a type B rcd, which 1500s I believe don't have the facility? Also it did state that the use of type F rcd may be needed for circuits like kitchens and utility rooms due to the nature of modern appliances. Don't know if that is true but what I read on the hager website.

Following on from a recent topic on here I thought I'd start a poll on this. Various videos on youtube are suggesting we should be thinking about phasing out Type AC RCD's and use Type A instead

See Sparky Ninja here

which deals with problems testing Hager's Type A RCD's and Hager's guidance on how to work around the problem.

I noticed on this video that the Megger 1700 series tester they were using has a specific test mode for Type A RCD's. As far as I can see, my Megger 1553 doesn't have this capability. I can find no guidance on whether it is acceptable to continue testing Type A RCD's with the Megger 1500 series on 'AC' setting.

Any thoughts?
In my opinion Type AC RCDs have not been the correct device in many situations for a long time now. This isn't actually new to the 18th Edition - the Regulations raised this issue before, but perhaps less forcefully.

In fact outside of the UK you would be hard pushed to find Type AC RCDs - much of the world phased them out long ago.

Would it not be quicker for people to stop knocking Hager and ring up Megger about their 15XX series tester? I really don't see the issue with Hager and using a Megger MFT to test type A RCD's. Are some people too lazy or not capable of tuning a few dials and pressing a couple of buttons. Lighten up people lets get back to slagging off the NICEIC!

Hi guys,
I may be wrong and maybe one of the other guys on here with more experience will correct me, the megger 1700 series have the facility to test type a rcd in an all in one test. I have a 1552 and thinking with the older model it has a facility to switch between ac and DC, so maybe that you will need to test the rcd on ac, then switch and test to DC and then take the worst case readings to enter on the certificate. This is the way I see it, I may be wrong and open to be putting right by others. As a side note I was reading up on the hager website about rcd types and if you intend to instsll PV or electric vehicle chargers you may need a type B rcd, which 1500s I believe don't have the facility? Also it did state that the use of type F rcd may be needed for circuits like kitchens and utility rooms due to the nature of modern appliances. Don't know if that is true but what I read on the hager website.

I was looking through the instructions for the Megger 1500 series earlier and it doesn't give too much information on the AC/DC tests.

See Sparky Ninja here

Any thoughts?
An interesting thread Matt but could I ask where your ideas are coming from? Is it from the IET or Hagar or just some video clips from youtube? The new section in BS7671 531.3.3 actually says 'for general purposes, Type AC RCD's may be used', I can't see it suggesting Type A RCD's, it merely informs us of the characteristics of a Type A RCD and says 'the appropriate RCD shall be selected'. Hence, this would be a Type AC RCD as suggested by BS7671.

However, from the Electrium website it says the term RCD is used over 250 times in BS7671 so I may be missing something!

Depends..
AC RCDs can still be used, depends on the installation, I tend to use A type RCDs for general use now.
Ive tested a few Hager type A RCDs I never get readings this high but I dont have a Megger, I have a Di-log 9118.
I have noticed if I test a 30mA type A RCD using the AC setting on my test kit it will more than likely fail to trip when tested at 150mA ( works fine on the correct srtting though), However, if I test a A type RCD using a Megger 1500 (with no option to select Pulsating DC) it will operate and test as normal.
Wonder how our test kits carry out the A type test ?

I'm having to take my old Metrel to a job next week for a mate to be able to test a TPN board full of type A rcbos he installed. He wasn't aware his even older Metrel would not test them.

Reply to Type A RCD's and testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock