Discuss Understanding terminology, schemes, cert, notifiable? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pegasus

Trainee
Reaction score
I haven't fully understood yet the process of certification, notifiable works, LABC, schemes, and how they all tie up together.
Where can I read more about such terminologies, or what do they mean, do you need to be registered on a scheme to operate or even write out an EICR? If you don't want to join are there other options if you wish to be self-employed doing mainly domestics?

To self certify your own work for part pee then the only way to do this is via a scam ( scheme ) , if you don't want to self certify then you can limit yourself to non-notifiable work Or convince the home owner to pay via building regs. In all my years I have only ever once gone down the BC ( council ) route as I wasn't with a scam at that point and the job was a large extension and we managed to get the electrical sign off via an EIRC to the building inspector but this isn't the normal way.

EICRs are a different thing altogther as they don't fall under building regs

To self certify your own work for part pee then the only way to do this is via a scam ( scheme ) , if you don't want to self certify then you can limit yourself to non-notifiable work Or convince the home owner to pay via building regs. In all my years I have only ever once gone down the BC ( council ) route as I wasn't with a scam at that point and the job was a large extension and we managed to get the electrical sign off via an EIRC to the building inspector but this isn't the normal way.

EICRs are a different thing altogther as they don't fall under building regs
What does it mean then to self-certify? Is that to make sure your work is compliant with just Part P or also BS7671?

Is it generally cheaper to join a scheme rather than paying BC to come down and check on your work?

to self certificate any works that fall under part p you’ll need to join a scheme (scam) if you plan on doing lots of notifiable works then it’ll be considerably cheaper than using building control and in my experience if you were to turn up as an electrician and then explain to the customer that they’ll need to sort the certification themselves through BC you’ll likely not get the job….and I hate to put this in such a blasé way but basically anyone can do an eicr, I wouldn’t recommend getting involved with them untill you have ALOT more experience personally, you’ll also need some professional indemnity insurance alongside your public liability insurance…

to self certificate any works that fall under part p you’ll need to join a scheme (scam) if you plan on doing lots of notifiable works then it’ll be considerably cheaper than using building control and in my experience if you were to turn up as an electrician and then explain to the customer that they’ll need to sort the certification themselves through BC you’ll likely not get the job….and I hate to put this in such a blasé way but basically anyone can do an eicr, I wouldn’t recommend getting involved with them untill you have ALOT more experience personally, you’ll also need some professional indemnity insurance alongside your public liability insurance…
thanks that clarifies things a lot more,
what is the process exactly when you have joined a scheme?
you do notifiable work - you report it to the scheme? - scheme reports it to BC? - you hand customer certificate (which type?) - do you pay to the scheme each time you notify them?

thanks that clarifies things a lot more,
what is the process exactly when you have joined a scheme?
you do notifiable work - you report it to the scheme? - scheme reports it to BC? - you hand customer certificate (which type?) - do you pay to the scheme each time you notify them?
You report through the scheme mate it’s pretty straightforward, hand over or email the cert to the customer and yes there’s a small fee per notification, I’m assuming having read some other posts you are training at the moment?…the schemes do have some benefit but I’d recommend getting as much practical experience as you can before joining one, and then approach a scheme once you feel ready, you’ll understand and appreciate that once you start doing jobs.
No idea on ya background but electricial work particularly within the domestic sector is about understanding buildings and how to approach the jobs, and gaining experience fault finding will take some time as well

Reply to Understanding terminology, schemes, cert, notifiable? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock