Discuss Understanding the new regulation regarding Main Bonding. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Regulation 411.3.1.2 states ....

Main bonding conductors shall connect to the main earthing terminal extraneous conductive parts.

It then goes on to say...

'Metallic pipes entering the building having an insulating section at their point of entry need not be connected to the protective equipotential bonding'.

Lets say we have a water pipe coming into the house in the plastic blue pipe, from then on its metal. The above reg makes me believe this does not need Main bonding, is that correct?

The above reg does not suggest we test the water pipe to see if it extraneous. It just says we have to bond extraneous parts, then it says not to bond if they come in to the house in an insulating section.

If we do test the water pipe it is likely that it will test at 1 or 2 ohms to earth (probably as it is usually connected to earth somewhere within the premises). Does this reg still imply not to bond in this case when we can clearly see an insulating section at point of entry?

That's how I read it.

plastic coming in, all plastic pipe work = no bond
plastic coming in, all metallic pipe work = no bond
metal coming in, immediately to plastic or a section of = no bond
metal coming in, immediately metallic pipework = bond

This doesn't however mean that pipework that enters in plastic doesn't at some point revert to metal and then creates an extraneous path which may or may not need bonding.

hope that clears it up for you.

Same with oil pipes, there’re usually insulated and then we bond at a concealed section.
Incoming Gas pipes are usually insulated
How will a section of insulation stop it from being extraneous??

As you have mentioned already, measure resistance to MET from metallic pipework. <22Kohms = bond.

Exactly this, belts and braces this way and your not just seeing a section of plastic and saying no bond. Obviously make sure parellel patha are disconnected first.

Made a post about a month ago on this when i was undecided. Metal coming in streight onto a plastic section then back to metal after the stoptap to the rest of the house. Didnt bond it as the IR reading from the MET to consumer side of the stoptap was around 30k.

That's how I read it.

plastic coming in, all plastic pipe work = no bond
plastic coming in, all metallic pipe work = no bond
metal coming in, immediately to plastic or a section of = no bond
metal coming in, immediately metallic pipework = bond

This doesn't however mean that pipework that enters in plastic doesn't at some point revert to metal and then creates an extraneous path which may or may not need bonding.

hope that clears it up for you.
I'm glad some one cleared that up thanks Geronimo :)
Understanding the new regulation regarding Main Bonding. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

No mate he had an Apache on his head, and ut wasn't his own hair never had Head and Shoulders in those days.

As you have mentioned already, measure resistance to MET from metallic pipework. <22Kohms = bond.

Obviously make sure parellel patha are disconnected first.
It's almost impossible to eliminate parallel paths, if there's a combi for example the gas service will be mechanically joined to the water pipes. The test for extraneousness (I just made that word up) is generally unreliable and I prefer to combine it with a visual assessment of how likely a water pipe is to become extraneous when entirely within a building. Unless the building is steel framed the likelihood is minimal.

It's almost impossible to eliminate parallel paths, if there's a combi for example the gas service will be mechanically joined to the water pipes. The test for extraneousness (I just made that word up) is generally unreliable and I prefer to combine it with a visual assessment of how likely a water pipe is to become extraneous when entirely within a building. Unless the building is steel framed the likelihood is minimal.
Especially in a 32nd floor flat!!

I had the on site plumber take a small section out right after the stop tap so i could test it which eliminated all parellel paths lol. Serched everywhere are there was no other extraneous parts. I thibk the reason i got 30KOhms was resistance through the wat or i would have had greater than 99MOhms

Ever since I started electrics back in 1961 bonding/equipotential cross bonding extraneous metal has been it seems a dark art. With a myriad of opinions on it most wrong. And an almost superstitious "...if it's metal bond it!.." approach. I think in this case it is simpler than we may overthink it is. One caution though, I have been in houses that start with plastic to copper. The copper wends its way through the property to the back bath and or kitchen but goes sub floor in cement so in such a case...??? It is only that there is not one rule fits all a careful survey needs to be done to be sure bonding is not needed as @wirepuller said "...a careful visual inspection..." is required.

Reply to Understanding the new regulation regarding Main Bonding. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock