Discuss Unsatisfactory EICR with C2 and FI, advise needed in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
New to this forum. Just received the first EICR report which is unsatisfactory (C2 and FI issues below). The electrician quoted for another £300 for remedial work. Is this reasonable charge, or shall I get another quote?

Thank you in advance for advice.

1649349400605.png

Is that it little or no explanation as to why they have given a C2 apart from generic statements. I would be asking for more concise clarification as most of that doesn't mean too much.

Is that it little or no explanation as to why they have given a C2 apart from generic statements. I would be asking for more concise clarification as most of that doesn't mean too much.
Agree, I also think it looks somewhat harsh.

Difficult to judge, but most would be C3, unless it's really bad.

(Looks like one issue reported repeatedly in slightly different ways!)

Thank you westwood10 and Julie. I am attaching the redacted EICR. Do you mind having a look please?
Tbh not that much more information, although I would have expected more rcd results.

Missing labels doesn't normally warrant a C2; as for cable lack of support, without seeing to what this actually refers, it's impossible to say; same with the bonding, without seeing it, - for example where the water and gas enters the building, is this plastic pipework coming from underground, or is it metallic etc.

High R1+R2 would be a C2, but doesn't appear to be clear from the results.

Would agree with what @Julie said regarding the C2's

The high R1 + R2 could be a sticky switch on the socket or a connection that is not as tight as it should be would have been easy to check during the EICR by lifting the socket off

Looks like an EICR carried out by someone with little or no experience of carrying out EICR's IMO

Would agree with what @Julie said regarding the C2's

The high R1 + R2 could be a sticky switch on the socket or a connection that is not as tight as it should be would have been easy to check during the EICR by lifting the socket off

Looks like an EICR carried out by someone with little or no experience of carrying out EICR's IMO
Thank you UNG and Julie, very helpful.

For this electrician, shall I challenge the quality of the EICR and demand more information? I haven't yet paid him. Don't know if I can refuse to pay. The EICR costs £180 and he quoted another £300 to do the remedial work and a satisfactory report.

For this electrician, shall I challenge the quality of the EICR and demand more information? I haven't yet paid him. Don't know if I can refuse to pay. The EICR costs £180 and he quoted another £300 to do the remedial work and a satisfactory report.
I would get a couple of other quotes.
p.s. you don't need another report that has satisfactory written on it, just attach the invoice for repairs or any other documentation to the original report to show the remedial works have been completed.

I would get a couple of other quotes.
p.s. you don't need another report that has satisfactory written on it, just attach the invoice for repairs or any other documentation to the original report to show the remedial works have been completed.
Many thanks for your advice James. The house was built in 2011 and maintained in a pretty good condition. I think that if there are genuine C2 issues, it shouldn't be a big job to rectify.

And exactly what is he doing for this £300 of remedial work, do you have a breakdown

And exactly what is he doing for this £300 of remedial work, do you have a breakdown
No breakdown. just say "The cost for the remedial work is £300. Following the remedial work complete a satisfactory report will be issued."

I can ask him to breakdown the £300, but I don't really want him to do the remedial work after a poor EICR and suspected fishing for work.

The lack of bonding clamps can be negated by a wander lead test.

We test the continuity to the pipe work if we cannot access a bond clamp, this is noted and listed as a C3 at worst

Have you had a new consumer unit installed? The electricain has listed the SPD as satisfactory (item 4.20)

I would ask him to clarify how he will repair the C2 item 5.2 in the schedule

Section 6.1 seems interesting- he notes an RCD on the schedule of test results (I am assuming a dual RCD board) but then notes there is not RCD protection on the bathroom / shower room

Item 3.6 - he is contradicting himself- he notes the size of the bond cables as 10mm (bottom of page 7) and then gives a C2 to the same item in item 3.6 - you cannot confirm a cable size and then fail the same item.

The lack of bonding clamps can be negated by a wander lead test.

We test the continuity to the pipe work if we cannot access a bond clamp, this is noted and listed as a C3 at worst

Have you had a new consumer unit installed? The electricain has listed the SPD as satisfactory (item 4.20)

I would ask him to clarify how he will repair the C2 item 5.2 in the schedule

Section 6.1 seems interesting- he notes an RCD on the schedule of test results (I am assuming a dual RCD board) but then notes there is not RCD protection on the bathroom / shower room

Item 3.6 - he is contradicting himself- he notes the size of the bond cables as 10mm (bottom of page 7) and then gives a C2 to the same item in item 3.6 - you cannot confirm a cable size and then fail the same item.
He has marked each circuit as having an rcbo bs60898, but has appeared only to have tested two of them.

So i wouldn't be surprised if there were two rcbo on socket circuits , and all the rest are mcb and he hasn't filled the schedule correctly.

Op - could you post a photo of the consumer unit - lift the flap so we can make out the actual protection devices?

He has marked each circuit as having an rcbo bs60898, but has appeared only to have tested two of them.

So i wouldn't be surprised if there were two rcbo on socket circuits , and all the rest are mcb and he hasn't filled the schedule correctly.

Op - could you post a photo of the consumer unit - lift the flap so we can make out the actual protection devices?
BS 60898 is an MCB, BS 61009 would be an RCBO

The RCD test button seems to be functional on all circuits except the upstairs sockets so is it a dual RCD board

Reply to Unsatisfactory EICR with C2 and FI, advise needed in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net