Discuss Unused conductors in trunking in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

jeremy

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
The client has decided that redundant circuits, created by us by decommissioning obsolete equipment, should be, in the first instance, removed completely. If this can be shown to be unsafe, cutting back a metre at each end would suffice.
I seem to remember a regulation that unused conductors in metallic trunking should be connected to earth, but can't find it in the current regs. Am I making this up? Wouldn't be the first time I've imagined something.

EAWR regulation 8 would cover this I think.

Precautions shall be taken, either by earthing or by other suitable means, to prevent danger arising when any conductor (other than a circuit conductor) which may reasonably foreseeably become charged as a result of either the use of a system, or a fault in a system, becomes so charged; and, for the purposes of ensuring compliance with this regulation, a conductor shall be regarded as earthed when it is connected to the general mass of earth by conductors of sufficient strength and current-carrying capability to discharge electrical energy to earth.

EAWR regulation 8 would cover this I think.

Precautions shall be taken, either by earthing or by other suitable means, to prevent danger arising when any conductor (other than a circuit conductor) which may reasonably foreseeably become charged as a result of either the use of a system, or a fault in a system, becomes so charged; and, for the purposes of ensuring compliance with this regulation, a conductor shall be regarded as earthed when it is connected to the general mass of earth by conductors of sufficient strength and current-carrying capability to discharge electrical energy to earth.
I thank you, Sir! I knew I'd read it somewhere. I've made up some fairly imaginative stuff, but was sure I couldn't have managed that.
We're trying to leave the circuit un-energised, but safely isolated, as that was what was originally agreed, and anything else is either lots more work, unsafe, or simply a ball-ache.

I thank you, Sir! I knew I'd read it somewhere. I've made up some fairly imaginative stuff, but was sure I couldn't have managed that.
We're trying to leave the circuit un-energised, but safely isolated, as that was what was originally agreed, and anything else is either lots more work, unsafe, or simply a ball-ache.

I was always taught to leave DB ends terminated and marked up in the earth bar, and other end connected common together.

if it's redundant . a Scouser's plan would be rip out and weighit in. then if customer decides he should have left it in for future use, you get the job of installing new cables. win - win.

if it's redundant . a Scouser's plan would be rip out and weighit in. then if customer decides he should have left it in for future use, you get the job of installing new cables. win - win.
I know you, pal...…...you'd take it out, coil it up and leave it for a month before the weigh in....then, if you get the order to rewire, re use and charge for it. If no order, weigh in.

Not just Scousers who think like that...

Reply to Unused conductors in trunking in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net