Discuss Unusual circuit on a EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Been at an apartment doing eicr this afternoon as they want to put it on air BnB, they have gas cooker and hob. owner had kitchen fitted and the fitter it appears used the cooker circuit (10mm T&E, 40 MCB, RCD etc) to feed a single socket, for a built in tall fridge/freezer.
The old cooker switch (recently changed to chrome to match) above the worktop isolates the fridge/freezer
From the cooker connection plate is wired a piece of 2.5mm twin and earth clipped direct behind cupboards into the double socket in the adjacent cupboard which the appliance plugs into.
its not a conventional design by any means, it incorporates an isolation switch (old cooker isolator). all testing comes back as within limits and would disconnect in a fault.
Am thinking a C2? but more i think about it am stuck between C3 or a C2
- 40 amp MCB is over rated for the 2.5mm run of cable to socket.
- enclosure (the cooker plate) not suitable for environment/ installation.
At very least Improvement recommended.

Thoughts?

Food for thought.........The regs allow a 2.5mm spur from a ring supplying a double socket where the ccc of the cable is less than the ocpd

What is the maximum permissible OCPD rating for a 13A socket outlet?

In anycase i will be going back for the remedials. she already said she wanted me to fix anything I found. i do like it when a customer says dont worry about cost! By putting it on Air BnB she reckons she can get over £3k per month for a 2nd floor 2 bed flat in the centre of Bath! 3 times what shed get for a normal tenancy.
I Will change the mcb out for a more suitable rated one, and replace the twin and earth for some heat resistant flex as its behind gas cooker and fit it into a 20 amp flex outlet that will be fitted in lieu of the cooker outlet.

Been at an apartment doing eicr this afternoon as they want to put it on air BnB, they have gas cooker and hob. owner had kitchen fitted and the fitter it appears used the cooker circuit (10mm T&E, 40 MCB, RCD etc) to feed a single socket, for a built in tall fridge/freezer.
The old cooker switch (recently changed to chrome to match) above the worktop isolates the fridge/freezer
From the cooker connection plate is wired a piece of 2.5mm twin and earth clipped direct behind cupboards into the double socket in the adjacent cupboard which the appliance plugs into.
its not a conventional design by any means, it incorporates an isolation switch (old cooker isolator). all testing comes back as within limits and would disconnect in a fault.
Am thinking a C2? but more i think about it am stuck between C3 or a C2
- 40 amp MCB is over rated for the 2.5mm run of cable to socket.
- enclosure (the cooker plate) not suitable for environment/ installation.
At very least Improvement recommended.

Thoughts?
Go on air BnB?? tin hat on

If the CCC reduction is less than 2 meters no code....
Assuming you're invoking the 3m rule to allow a cable which fails the adiabatic on the fault current, that only applie where both fault protection is omitted (vaporising the cpc probably counts as omission) And, if the cable is unlikely to suffer damage.
T&e in a wall wouldn't comply with the latter, but if it's rcd protected then that could cover the fault protection.
Not sure how the ocpd over 32a would be covered for supplying an accessory though.
I'm not an electrician though!

Reply to Unusual circuit on a EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock