Discuss UNUSUAL RCD SWITCH TRIP in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Johanna1

DIY
Reaction score
My RCD switch trips at the most unsual times, it will trip at 3am (no electric items are plugged in bar the kitchen appliances) then i will reset it and it will trip again at 10pm the next evening. It also tripped at 7:15am this morning. Electricians have been out and tested all my sockets and ive unplugged my fridge and washing machine for a few hours to see was it them and the RCD still tripped. I have no clue what to do next. I asked them to test the appliances but they dont think this is necessary. What else can i do?

You say "my RCD switch". Do you just have one RCD covering all circuits?
Pics. of your consumer unit/fusebox would be good.

You need spark that is good at fault finding
They should work methodically through the circuits and find the fault.

Likely suspects are
Floodlights, garden lights, any outdoor sockets.
Immersion heaters
Ovens electric hobs

Likely suspects are
Immersion heaters
Ovens electric hobs
I would hope that any sparks worthy of the title would have already considered all these, and presumably IR testing has thrown up nothing, meaning it is a true intermittent fault, rather than something occasionally tipping over the edge.
The weirdest one I ever found (after others had tried and failed) turned out to be caused by a chest freezer.
The lid had a light built into it which came on when it was opened.
Ice had built up in the lamp enclosure, which would melt from the heat of the lamp. When the lid was closed the liquid water would take about half an hour to reach some live terminals and trip the RCD. The water would then freeze again, and IR would read perfect.

its just the RCD switch that trips, none of the other fuses trip. Electricans have been here and they have tested sockets and the fuse board. They said all were fine. I dont know what else there is to do. The RCD just trips randomly for no reason. I dont know a lot about this but everything has been checked and the RCD still trips. I thought it was faulty wiring but i was told this wasnt the case either.

First of all, no real electrician would leave that fuse box as it is in the pic. The missing blanks in the top row mean that it is regarded as "an immediate threat to life".
Is it just the bottom row that loses power, or is the top rom connected through the RCD as well?
What country are you in? The type of board you have is available in the UK, but would be very unusual.

Likely suspects are
Immersion heaters
Ovens electric hobs
I live in an apartment so i dont have any outside lighting/sockets to worry about. I suggested the electricans look at the cooker wiring and lighting but they just said the RCD doesnt control either of them. Also when the RCD trips the oven and lights still work so they ruled them out this morning. My immersion is never switched on because my water heats up from my heating system.
I suggested a PAT test on the electrical appliances in my kitchen. They're going to do that next week.

First of all, no real electrician would leave that fuse box as it is in the pic. The missing blanks in the top row mean that it is regarded as "an immediate threat to life".
Is it just the bottom row that loses power, or is the top rom connected through the RCD as well?
What country are you in? The type of board you have is available in the UK, but would be very unusual.
I live in Dublin. No fuses in the bottom row trip, the only one that trips is the RCD switch.

I don't think we really need the drama of a few blanks missing.

So it's the socket and immersion heater circuits that the problem lies in.
You say you don't use the immersion heater, but it can still be the problem if it isn't isolated by a double pole switch, although this should have shown up with basic tests, if it were the problem.
The next DIY step you can take is to unplug everything from the sockets, not just switch them off, (although I don't know if Eire uses SP or DP s/sockets), and see if the tripping stops. Don't forget hidden sockets that might be behind appliances
I realise this will be difficult if you have a fridge and/or freezer. Does your cooker switch have a socket built into it? If so, try to run these two appliances from it on an extension lead.

I don't think we really need the drama of a few blanks missing.
Really? I was slated a couple of days ago for not reporting similar to the HSE.
We have a situation here where the OP is regularly accessing the box, and as far as I knew at the time, could have been accessing it in the dark.
There's also the matter of what looks like an overloaded main switch and/or supply.

We have a situation here where the OP is regularly accessing the box, and as far as I knew at the time, could have been accessing it in the dark.
The issue here is the rcd tripping not a few missing blanks and the HSE.

So it's the socket and immersion heater circuits that the problem lies in.
You say you don't use the immersion heater, but it can still be the problem if it isn't isolated by a double pole switch, although this should have shown up with basic tests, if it were the problem.
The next DIY step you can take is to unplug everything from the sockets, not just switch them off, (although I don't know if Eire uses SP or DP s/sockets), and see if the tripping stops. Don't forget hidden sockets that might be behind appliances
I realise this will be difficult if you have a fridge and/or freezer. Does your cooker switch have a socket built into it? If so, try to run these two appliances from it on an extension lead.
I'm going to plug out everything tonight again, its unfortunate because if the RCD stayed down then the electricans would be able to pin point where the fault is but i just push it back up after it trips and it wont trip again for another few hours.
(I'm not sure about the cooker switch. Its just a standard large red switch on a white base)

There's also the matter of what looks like an overloaded main switch and/or supply.
im not sure its overloaded as all the fuses have been tested more than once this week and it all came back clear. None of the other fuses trip. Its just the RCD thats the nuisance. (The top row i never have a problem with)

Hi- sorry to hear that your RCD is tripping. It does indicate there is a fault, either with the appliances, the wiring or the RCD itself. The good news is RCDs rarely fail and they can easily be tested with the right equipment.
its unfortunate because if the RCD stayed down then the electricans would be able to pin point where the fault is but i just push it back up after it trips and it wont trip again for another few hours.
Sorry to say but this is not correct, in my opinion. You resetting the RCD in the morning would not in any way affect or hinder me from finding the cause of the trip :) .

Perhaps have the Electrician verify the incoming earth to your property. It’s likely you have an earth provided to you and this needs to be in good shape. I have seen random tripping vanish when the DNO earth was improved.

Likely suspects are
Immersion heaters
Ovens electric hobs
can i just ask you, if i plug out all my plugs tonight (minus my washing machine and fridge) and if it trips in the middle of the night again does that mean the source of the trip is from my kitchen? It couldnt be from any where else if i have everything else plugged out in the other rooms could it? It wouldnt make sense.

Everything you left unplugged could probably be eliminated from the enquiry, unless the problem is cumulative leakage from more than one source, but it could still be a problem with the actual wiring.
Unfortunately, washing machine especially, and fridge are two of the most likely candidates to be the problem.

Reply to UNUSUAL RCD SWITCH TRIP in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net