Discuss Upgrade of fat braid main earth conductor in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’ll just add that braid will give a better connection than any modern method.
Personally if I’d had done it would be soldered to the lead, but I’m an old fart as well!
It’s lovely stuff to work with if you can solder to make the termination.
Another interesting point is it’s current carrying capacity, much higher that a normal stranded conductor. I’ll leave it to you to look for the ratings, I wouldn’t bother with the BRB though.

Couldn't of put any better than that Tony!!

If you want an analogy of sorts, think about welding cables, multi-fine wire stranded cable have a far higher current carrying ability than your typical building wire type cables.

It's probably a silly question but how much risk is there in soldering an earth cable onto the lead sheath of a TN-S cable?

I mean I know how to solder but is this a really bad idea to think about doing this to a DNO's cable?

Thanks.

old news that sw1970, thats why the forum has put at top of screen, this an open forum , do not take informations as facts or something like that. theres loads of stuff and there is everydaay that is wrong and in an open forum, so what is it lol il look again chill man..
Look mate...your not on your own here....on occasions i have also got things wrong...and quite rightly been pulled up about it. A little constructive critisism from time to time is good for ones self....yes your quite right this is a public forum which is why...in a kind of way we have to be ultra carefull as to the info we give and the accuracy of said info....Take it as a compliment that forum members like Mr Sanford and others are taking an interest in your progress but remember....many forum members are very much more experienced than either you or i so sometimes you just have to shut up, take the flak and get on...........

It's probably a silly question but how much risk is there in soldering an earth cable onto the lead sheath of a TN-S cable?

I mean I know how to solder but is this a really bad idea to think about doing this to a DNO's cable?

Thanks.

It’s something you don’t do if you haven’t been trained to do it!

The thing is if DNO's don't want to do it or can't be bothered to come out and fix a bad TN-S connection how do you improve a TN-S lead sheath earth connection?

Are there special clamps out there?

If soldering is not to be used what other methods are there because I hear that DNO's don't like to fix it they like to sell you PME instead.

They look perfect, just the job.

The DNO will maintain a supplied earth terminal, this includes fitting a new hepbond if required. if the installation is TN-S they will leave it TN-S and if it is PME they will maintain it if you have a bad Ze. Most will not supply an earth terminal if one has never been supplied then you will have to pay for the installation to have PME earth terminal.
Do not under any circumstances interfere with the DNO cable or equipment. If it faults you will end up having to pay for the damage you have caused the same as if you hit a cable whilst digging in the street. On top of the cost is the fact you will be injured. Believe me if you fit a clamp around a paper lead cable and do it wrong it will fault and the protection on the supply cable will be up to 400A with a designed clearance time of 5 seconds.

DSC_0011.jpg

Thanks for that warning.

I just wonder what they will say about this when they see it.

Not fitted by me and apologies for hi jacking the thread.

Reply to Upgrade of fat braid main earth conductor in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net