Discuss Urgent help - exam next week- planning and prep 2330 unit 205 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

trainee

hi all,

i have planning and preperation exam on 20th april on 2 way lighting circuit strapper method and ring final circuit with 4 sockets and a spur coming of.

im really struggling. im fine with the risk assessment, but what is really concerning me most is the material list. According to my lecturers i require around 45+ items which include fixures and fittings. i only have 40 items, where am i going short? im not sure if i even got them right

can someone please help me with this, im really stressing out!!!!!

im also slightly confused with the 2 way lighting strapper method, im not sure about the cables to use (basics i know). reason being i was absent for first few weeks and got behind with workshop work. to catch up my lecturers have been signing of my work without actually going through it properly, some of my material list have not been completed properly but been signed off, so now its causing me problems.

so this is what i have so far, here goes:

1) consumer unit x 1
2) main switch x 1
3) miniture circuit breaker 6A x 1
4) miniture circuit breaker 32A x 1
5) ceiling rose pendant x 1
6) ceiling rose battern holder x 1
7) steel wire armour 3 core x 1metre
8) 20mm2 glands x 2
9) 20mm2 banjo x 2
10) Crimps blue x 2 (earth banjo)
11) brass M5 nuts and bolts x 2
12) shrouds x 2
13) 20mm2 locknuts x 3 (1 for consumer unit)
14) cleats x 2
15) 20mm male bush x 1
17) 20mm coupling x 1
18) red rawplugs x
19) No. 8 countersunk screws 1 3/4" x
20) No. 8 roundhead screws 1 3/4" x
21) plate screws x
22) open grommets
23) closed grommets
24) 1 gang 2 way 5A plate switch x 2
25) 1 gang pvc backbox 32mm surface mount x 2
26) identification sleeving brown x
27) identification sleeving G/Y x
28) 1mm2 single and earth cpc pvc cable x (for 2 way i think)
29) 1mm2 3 core cpc pvc cable x (for 2 way i think)
30) 2.5mm2 cable clips x
31) 2 gang socket outlets x 5
32) 2 gang 32mm pvc double back boxes surface mounted x 5
33) 2.5mm2 earth cable x (ring circuit)
34) 2.5mm2 pvc cable brown x (ring circuit)
35) 2.5mm2 pvc cable blue x (ring circuit)
36) pvc conduit black 20mm2 x
37) 20mm spacer bar saddle x
38) 20mm 1 way pvc end round back box x 1
39) inspection Tee joint x 2
40) inpection Tee lid x 2
41) connector block 5A x 3 (i dont know what this is used with, advice wold be appreciated)

the items in red are the ones im not sure about, if you could give me any advice it would be much appreciated,

thanks

PS could you check my ring final circuit with spur if its correct, below is a link to the image.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu233/trainee_2009/ringcircuitwithspur.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
28 & 29 you would use singles also, but they are only available in 1.5mm.

33,34,35 fine

41, fine for terminating floating cpc's if you use pvc boxes, but some do have a CPC terminal in the box.

42) MCB for sub main.
43) Blue sleeving.
44) 20mm Inspection elbows.
45) 20mm couplers

What environment is this installation? Would metal clad accessories be better?

You RFC layout is fine.

I did my final assessment for the 2330 level 2 just a month ago.
We had to house the ring circuit in PVC conduit and the lighting circuit in steel conduit.
Are you sure this isn't the same for you?
The point of the final 206 assessment is to show that you have grasped all the skills of the level 2.
Therefore you have to use steel conduit to show you know how to bend the conduit correctly and tap the ends, form the correct angles etc.

33,34,35 fine

41, fine for terminating floating cpc's if you use pvc boxes, but some do have a CPC terminal in the box.

42) MCB for sub main.
43) Blue sleeving.
45) 20mm couplers

You RFC layout is fine.

thanks for the advice

just need comfirmaion, so your saying i would need 1.5mm2 brown (live), 1.5mm2 blue (switch live) and 1.5mm2 G/Y (earth)

I did my final assessment for the 2330 level 2 just a month ago.
We had to house the ring circuit in PVC conduit and the lighting circuit in steel conduit.
Are you sure this isn't the same for you?
The point of the final 206 assessment is to show that you have grasped all the skills of the level 2.
Therefore you have to use steel conduit to show you know how to bend the conduit correctly and tap the ends, form the correct angles etc.

sorry mate im not to sure about that, i now the ring circuit will be encased in pvc conduit, anyway thats what the lecturer told us. im not to sure about the two way lighting strapper method, i thought that we would use cable clips.

what exactly did you carry out? what i have to do is create a ring circuit and a two way lighting circuit strapper method.

any can you tell how many materials you had and what the planning and prep exam consisted of?

much appreciated cheerz

thanks for the advice

just need comfirmaion, so your saying i would need 1.5mm2 brown (live), 1.5mm2 blue (switch live) and 1.5mm2 G/Y (earth)

sorry mate im not to sure about that, i now the ring circuit will be encased in pvc conduit, anyway thats what the lecturer told us. im not to sure about the two way lighting strapper method, i thought that we would use cable clips.

what exactly did you carry out? what i have to do is create a ring circuit and a two way lighting circuit strapper method.
Hi Trainee,

You will use single core 2.5mm2 cables for your ring circuit and single core 1.5mm2 cables for your lighting circuit.
All wiring will be encased in the conduit. When I ran the strappers we used brown cables (as the lecturer told us to)
You will need to use a nylon draw wire when running the cables for your ring circuit.
It's not as difficult as you might think. The most time consuming part(we all found) was getting the bends right in the steel conduit!

33,34,35 fine

42) MCB for sub main.
43) Blue sleeving.
45) 20mm couplers

You RFC layout is fine.

thanks for the advice.

the installation is carried out in bays at my local college.

you have lost me on the mcb for sub main, would'nt 6A (lighting) and 32A (ring) be sufficient for the installation. and also what would the blue sleeving be used for? so far in the workshop i have only used brown sleeving for switch live, and g/y for earth. i have listed the coupler 17)

Hi Trainee,

You will use single core 2.5mm2 cables for your ring circuit and single core 1.5mm2 cables for your lighting circuit.
All wiring will be encased in the conduit. When I ran the strappers we used brown cables (as the lecturer told us to)
You will need to use a nylon draw wire when running the cables for your ring circuit.
It's not difficult. The most time consuming part was getting the bends right in the steel conduit!

sorry for keeping on asking questions.

so would i need 1.5mm2 blue wire and then put brown sleeving to represent switch live.

mate your defo gonna pass, you know it.

It seems your a clever dude use it to help others don't use your intelligence making yourself feel good. help other's they need it more. At the end of ythe day you'll never be a loser! other's will, help them.

mate your defo gonna pass, you know it.

It seems your a clever dude use it to help others don't use your intelligence making yourself feel good. help other's they need it more. At the end of ythe day you'll never be a loser! other's will, help them.

sorry what are you on about.:confused:

thanks for the advice.

the installation is carried out in bays at my local college.

you have lost me on the mcb for sub main, would'nt 6A (lighting) and 32A (ring) be sufficient for the installation. and also what would the blue sleeving be used for? so far in the workshop i have only used brown sleeving for switch live, and g/y for earth. i have listed the coupler 17)

sorry for keeping on asking questions.

so would i need 1.5mm2 blue wire and then put brown sleeving to represent switch live.

No mate, as you would have one single brown 1.5mm going from the last switch up to the ceiling rose.
OK off the top of my head (meaning I'm not 100% positive without seeing it in front of me) it was like this, Line in(brown) in COM, L1 and L2(brown) strapped across to L1 and L2 of other switch. You go out of this 2nd switch from COM straight to the ceiling rose as switched live (brown again)
The neutral goes straight from the consumer unit to the ceiling rose in this instance.
Let me know if this helps you get a better understanding.

No mate, as you would have one single brown 1.5mm going from the last switch up to the ceiling rose.
OK off the top of my head (meaning I'm not 100% positive without seeing it in front of me) it was like this, Line in(brown) in COM, L1 and L2(brown) strapped across to L1 and L2 of other switch. You go out of this 2nd switch from COM straight to the ceiling rose as switched live (brown again)
The neutral goes straight from the consumer unit to the ceiling rose in this instance.
Let me know if this helps you get a better understanding.

i think i get what you mean, hold on a few min il draw out a diagram.

here you go mate, sorry for the wait, bit messy

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu233/trainee_2009/2way.jpghttp://www.electriciansforums.net/r...bucket.com/albums/uu233/trainee_2009/2way.jpg

Im assuming the CU will be fed from a sub main Via the SWA (which is what the MCB is for), therefore, you will need blue sleeving for one of the cores of the swa to act as your neutral.

Never pass other circuit conductors through anothers accessories (eg lighting cables through a socket).

Im assuming the CU will be fed from a sub main Via the SWA (which is what the MCB is for), therefore, you will need blue sleeving for one of the cores of the swa to act as your neutral.

Never pass other circuit conductors through anothers accessories (eg lighting cables through a socket).

cheerz mate,

i understand now, so i will blue ident sleeving to the list, also do i need to add sub main board? and what size mcb do i need for that?

2 more days before exam, dreading it:(

i think i get what you mean, hold on a few min il draw out a diagram.

here you go mate, sorry for the wait, bit messy

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu233/trainee_2009/2way.jpg

I checked over your circuit. You have gone to the rose first.
You need to run the line out directly from the CU to the COM of the first switch mate.
L1 and L2 strapped over to the other switch.
Then COM from 2nd switch to ceiling rose as switched line.
As it is housed in steel conduit which, typically might be used in industrial applications where the lamps could be 10m high up in the air we wire through the switches first making it easier to fault find( or so I was told).
Also this way you will find it easier when running your cables in.

I checked over your circuit. You have gone to the rose first.
You need to run the line out directly from the CU to the COM of the first switch mate.
L1 and L2 strapped over to the other switch.
Then COM from 2nd switch to ceiling rose as switched line.
As it is housed in steel conduit which, typically might be used in industrial applications where the lamps could be 10m high up in the air we wire through the switches first making it easier to fault find( or so I was told).
Also this way you will find it easier when running your cables in.

it is possible you could draw it out for me, im not sure how it would work, upload it photobucket and post link please

It all depends on what information you have been given.

the information we have been given is we have to learn the material list for ring final circuit and 2 way lighting strapper method and also steel wire armour.

normally in ring circuit dont you add sub main board that you attach a S.W.A cable, what size mcb is required?

Reply to Urgent help - exam next week- planning and prep 2330 unit 205 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock