Discuss US to UK desktop appliance in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Solace

-
Reaction score
Hello I have Surface Studio 2 (US imported). The device is 100-240V, 50/60Hz and 4A, however the US cord is rated 125V~ and 10A

As UK mains is around 220V, is it possible to use plug adapter with this device?

What are they doing supplying something that can have a supply of 240V but putting a cable on that is not rated for this?

Can you not change the cable?

What are they doing supplying something that can have a supply of 240V but putting a cable on that is not rated for this?

Can you not change the cable?

I do not know what they were thinking, i can try to get replacement cable but they are hard to find. in the meantime, would you recommend a plug adaptor? or is that not safe?

I think my post was not clear enough.
Can you not replace the cable for a UK cable and UK plug, as you say its rated up to 240V?

The cable is only rated at 125V, this limits what you can do?
You could do what @SparkyAndGeorge suggested and get a step down transformer, so only 120V is going through the cable, but this would be a lot more expensive than just getting a new cable and plug.

I do not know what they were thinking, i can try to get replacement cable but they are hard to find. in the meantime, would you recommend a plug adaptor? or is that not safe?

How about you post some pictures of the cable / connector type you are trying to source then we may be able to suggest where you might purchase a UK lead of the correct rating

If the power cord detaches from the adaptor, just get a UK replacement cord for a few pounds. Get it from a reputable source, many cheap replacement cords sold online and from maket stalls etc. are fake and unsafe.

In reality your 120V cord will withstand 240V just fine, it simply does not have the approvals to do so. And a 240V rated power brick is fine too, don't be misled by mention of different voltages. If it says 240V and carries European approval, it's OK, there's no need for a step down transformer.

So you could use a plug adaptor and it will work but beware... many adaptors are fake, phony rubbish and highly dangerous especially in the UK where a fuse is mandatory because of our very high circuit ratings. Get a branded one made to BS 8546. And remember, if you touch the US plug prongs, it's a 240V shock you will get.

If it says 240V and carries European approval, it's OK,

Surely, if it's European approved then it should be supplied with a cable specifying it's suitable for 240V?

PSUs with worldwide approvals are often bundled with cordsets that only have approvals for localities that the plug suits. A cordset with a Schuko plug will have approval to the LVD for use at 230V, one with a NEMA 5-15 plug will have UL approval for use at 120V.

Reply to US to UK desktop appliance in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock