Discuss Using a sub-contractor, what needs to be in place? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Due to busy times i need to start using a sub-contractor to help with the work load, i have spoke to Stroma (who i'm currently with) and they have said i need to get a contractors agreement put in place.

Has anyone had any experience with using sub-contractors? If so, apart from insurance is there anything else i need to put in place?

Thanks in advance

I've subbied for someone else, no agreement as such, just verbal agreement over hourly rate. I suppose it would be dependant on how much you use that someone. CIS scheme as well.

I am registered with STROMA and during my assessment they enquired about subbies. I had an agreement subbies have to sign which they deemed satisfactory for third party work on my behalf. It basically involves the standards and practices they must conform to while doing any work for me. This includes WAHR, EAWR, H&S Risk assessments and Method statements, and agreeing they indemnify me if they depart from the required standards related to the above. It is fairly comprehensive. Common sense on one level. i.e. safe isolation, warning signs, working at height using ladders properly and inspecting, PASMA qualified where towers are used, conforming to building regs and BS7671 and so ad nauseum....

That is why being on your own is so much better...

As for the CIS scheme.... I think this drives the cash work because people want to avoid it ...

Last edited by a moderator:
You are probably aware but just in case,there may be all sorts of implications with regard HMRC and registering yourself as a contractor and doing sub contractor CIS returns,I believe there are fines and all sorts of headaches if deadlines are missed.
I know very little detail but becoming aware (if you aren't already) of your responsibilities is a must

it's a minefield, this CIS. alarms, CCTV etc. are exempt from CIS deductions, as is maintenance work. so for example, if i spent 3 days installing and 2 days fault finding and repair, as a subbie, the 3 days would require CIS deductions whereas the 2 days would not.

I'm already paying him through CIS for the odd day he works for me. I now need him to go and do work without me being there, Stroma also said he needs to put my company name under "on behalf" on his test sheet and he needs to notify it with the body hes with (if it needs notifying). Apart from what Stroma has said, CIS and insurance is there anything else i need to be aware of?

I am registered with STROMA and during my assessment they enquired about subbies. I had an agreement subbies have to sign which they deemed satisfactory for third party work on my behalf. It basically involves the standards and practices they must conform to while doing any work for me. This includes WAHR, EAWR, H&S Risk assessments and Method statements, and agreeing they indemnify me if they depart from the required standards related to the above. It is fairly comprehensive. Common sense on one level. i.e. safe isolation, warning signs, working at height using ladders properly and inspecting, PASMA qualified where towers are used, conforming to building regs and BS7671 and so ad nauseum....

Vorigern, do you have a template i could use?

Reply to Using a sub-contractor, what needs to be in place? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net