Discuss Using an impact driver - rattler - to tighten MCBs! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

What's a gyroscopic screwdriver? (he asked, assuming he was about to receive a stupid answer)
DeWalt DC 680G2 motion activated screwdriver
The Dewalt DCF680G2 Max Gyroscopic Screwdriver 2 Battery Kit Features Motion Activation Which Allows The User To Control Variable Speed, Along With Forward And Reversing Action By Simply Twisting The Tool Left Or Right. Motion Activated Variable Speed Ranges From 0-430 Rpm; Intuitive Motion Activated Control Allows For Precise Fastening Into Wood, Plastic And Light-Gauge Metal. Adjustable Two-Position Handle Allows The User To Choose Either The Straight In-Line Position Or Pistol-Grip Configuration And The 15 Clutch Position Settings Allow Control When Completing Light Fastening Applications. This Work Light Also Features 2 Led Headlights Which Enables Illumination In Confined Areas Without Shadowing. Battery Indicator On The Tool Allows End Users To Know When To Charge Packs - One Pack Covers 5 Days Of Runtime With The Typical User. 7.2V Max Battery Pack Allows For Longer Run-Time And Charges In One Hour. One-Handed Loading 1/4" Hex-Shank Chuck Allows For Quick Screwdriver Bit Change And Holds 1" Bit Tips. This Is An Ideal Tool For Any Professional End User Looking For A Compact, Portable Screwdriver With Precise Speed Control.

Glad I asked this; after all - we are always being told how much the experience hands know but sometimes it's good to question. Now...about using a 16oz claw hammer to to ease the cables into a 25mm box ;)

The Bosch Go 3.6V driver seems to a be a popular one. Not got one myself though. Have to get them online as they are not UK release.

View attachment 50099
I got a few of those for our workshop and they're a time saver if you're panel building. We just use them to nip up the terminations for initial assembly purposes then go over the whole panel once it's complete and do a final tightening on everything with a torque screwdriver.

Using one of those impact screwdrivers wouldn't be acceptable, there's no control and they're going to overtighten or strip threads.

I do all my terminations,using a Bance,and a series of reducers...

I'm not an idiot....half revs only :oops:

Did you use it on the Navvy too lol.

Lots of jobs on em that i would have given anything for a bance:cool:

Torque multiplier or burning gear,usually....that and a 48lb sledge (still got two of them) with an apprentice,holding a long,spring handled drift:)

Any shaft,clutch or gearing,which had the word "travel" in front of it,meant a hard day's graft....

Any idea where I can find these?
Lots of jobs on em that i would have given anything for a bance:cool:

Torque multiplier or burning gear,usually....that and a 48lb sledge (still got two of them) with an apprentice,holding a long,spring handled drift:)

Any shaft,clutch or gearing,which had the word "travel" in front of it,meant a hard day's graft....
I was telling one of the lads about the 40+ pound mell's the other day and he refused to believe me.
The pinch bars had to be seen to be believed too, But so did the machines. ;)
You Mentioned the biggest Machines in the Uk in one of your posts, We had the biggest (Most famous) at one time. And two even bigger on subsequent sites.

An impact driver might be quicker, but it might also cost a lot of money and worry (and possibly legal action if a fire occurs because of an incorrectly tightened electrical connection.)

Last edited:
i used to work for a large company in manchester we had a few consumer units go up in flames we found out they been connected up using a battery drill madness that why wylex and other make say no battery drills

Wera adjustable torque screwdriver, works well and many interchangeable bits, ticks all the boxes if someone says how do you know if it's... but it is also yet another thing to calibrate.

Noticed one of the old hands doing this recently; using an impact driver (rattler) to to tighten the slotted PZ2 screws in a newly installed board. Never occurred to me that you could but when I (very discreetly) checked them with a conventional screw driver they were all spot on.

Does / has anyone else done this or am I the last one one the bus,'cos it certainly saved some time? Can you actually buy a slotted PZ2 head for an impact and how'd you line up the slot - normally done by feel before you actually apply any torque.

I'll get me ticket now ;)
If you continue to use your driver don't get a return ticket

Marti said:
when I (very discreetly) checked them with a conventional screw driver they were all spot on.

How did you confirm they were all 'spot on' to correct torque setting a 'conventional screwdriver' ?

Reply to Using an impact driver - rattler - to tighten MCBs! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net