Discuss Velux remote (battery controlled) issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

llyamah

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. The short question... Can electric velux windows send a signal to a AA battery-controlled control pad that causes the control pad to quickly deplete the batteries?

The details...

I have three electric velux windows in my kitchen and two in my bathroom. All recently installed by the same guy. All use KLR 200 control pads operating 3 AA batteries.

No issues with the bathroom but the kitchen control pads don't hold a charge. Within a month the batteries are completely dead.

Each unit is placed on a wall next to a nest thermostat.

I've tried multiple control pads and same issue over and over again. It is possible the control pads are from a bad batch and all suffer the same issue, so I have requested two new ones from velux. I've just set these up and will wait a month and see how they go but in the meantime I thought I would ask the question here (there's no battery % indicator on the unit).

What could the issue be?

Could the windows be feeding a constant signal to the control pad keeping it 'awake' (the screen isn't on).

Could electrical current to the nest thermostat be interfering with the batteries?

The units do say 500ma max on them but surely that doesn't mean that I can't use batteries with a higher capacity (some of the batteries I have tried are 2000mah rechargeables, but I think I first tried the batteries the unit came with).

Hi,i have read the KLR200 operating handbook....what a trawl...i know why i have curtains...

Just a thought,is the control pad,designed to operate with rechargeable batteries?
I know there are only 3 x AA,but the voltage will be different.

One of the control pads,shows a battery level indicator,so is this not working?

Most remote controls (TV etc) are better with standard alkaline batteries because of the self drain of rechargeable types. As PEG says, make sure they are designed to be used with these.

Thanks for the replies both.

The battery level indicator only works to show there is a 'low battery', not to show a day by day level (unless I am missing something?!).

I am not sure if the control panels are meant to work with rechargeable batteries...

The label says "5 V d.c. max. 500 mA".

The rechargeable batteries are 2000 mAh, 1.2v... Are they ok for use?

Even if the rechargeables are not okay, I swear I had this problem using the stock batteries provided by velux. I could be wrong though - maybe I was using rechargeable ones from the srart.

Any further thoughts wpuld be appreciated.

Wired supply for a friend for Velux with similar controller, he used batteries that came supplied, i.e. not rechargeable. Controller in my older Velux, used normal AA batteries.
I’d give that a try, as suggested.

Can the remotes be paired with the other Velux?
I’m thinking swap the remotes from room to room and see if it’s a remote control problem or a location problem.

Try alkalines and I reckon you will be OK. Not the ones that are 30 for a quid at the pound shop though!

@llyamah

Just wondering if you ever got an answer for this, I'm having the same problem with one of my velux windows. Using standard AA batteries D'cell/E'giser.

He's not been on here since last January.

Maybe someone else has had a similar problem though.

@llyamah

Just wondering if you ever got an answer for this, I'm having the same problem with one of my velux windows. Using standard AA batteries D'cell/E'giser.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am experiencing the same issue. I replace the batteries and the unit works fine. Within 24 hours the batteries are dead!

Are you using a known brand battery that is NOT rechargeable?

I have a couple of remote's that seem to eat batteries faster than others whether being used or not, the Enerloop rechargeable I recommended on page one have a very low self diss-charge rate that is guaranteed, some I have had not been used for over a year and still had near 80% capacity, I don't buy Alkaline batteries anymore, the Enerloop's are so reliable.

Reading through this thread I'm wondering if having a lot of wireless control devices possibly on similar frequencies in close proximity is not letting them "sleep" or go into low power standby and thereby flattening the batteries much quicker than expected
I know with some devices there is a limit on how many you can co-locate before problems occur

I keep all of the TV, DVD player, Sound bar and Satellite box controls in the same box by the lounge chair, still work even though I have not been here in a year and all have Enerloop rechargeable batteries in them.

Reply to Velux remote (battery controlled) issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net