Discuss Wall light cable not long enough in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rlink0216

DIY
Reaction score
Hi I am changing a wall light and after removing the wall has crumbled away and the cable is too short to connect to the new light fitting. Please could you advise if connecting the new fitting with a choc block will be safe. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Russell

Attachments

• Wall light cable not long enough image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 31
if the choc block will fitinside the base of the new fitting without putting strain on the cable/s then OK. you may needt o chip out some of that filler. dif-tor heh smusma (live long and prosper)

Thanks! Do I connect wires the chock block in the fitting
Russell

Attachments

• Wall light cable not long enough 9C197CC5-12F5-4119-8160-C4A65EB89A3B - EletriciansForums.net
    9C197CC5-12F5-4119-8160-C4A65EB89A3B.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 34
i find thart in that situation, unclip the choc block that is part of the fitting. connect your L,N,E into the block . ditch the other choc block. then fix fitting.

definitely NOT. any extension to cable/s must be crimped/soldered, and insulated with heat shrink sleeving, or wago connectors in a wago box, maintenance free.

also, 1 of those red conductors seems to have insulation damage. an electrician could fit your light to the existing cables over the hole in an hour. just have a bit of decoration to repair

definitely NOT. any extension to cable/s must be crimped/soldered, and insulated with heat shrink sleeving, or wago connectors in a wago box, maintenance
Ok thanks I don’t think I can fit a light here as there is no clearance around the short cable to attach it to the light fitting
I think the original light fitting wasn’t fit to regulations as it was just connected with a choc block. This is a very old house circa 1800s.

Its red and black T&E could be as late as 2004 not that old at all.
To me it looks like tin plated conductors or aluminium. Maybe rubber insulation too. Hard to be sure from a photo and you may be right.

Wall light cable not long enough 1647020947346 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Reply to Wall light cable not long enough in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock