Discuss Want to get back into the trade after 25 yrs out in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.

I completed an apprenticeship via the CITB way back in 1992 (C&G 236 part 1&2 + JIB AM1), I think it was the 16th writing regs at the time. My employer at the time apparently “liked” me a lot and decided to have me managing/supervise the contracts/jobs instead of being on the tools, so I never got to do the AM2. I eventually left that job after 2 years and started a totally unrelated business. After 25 years out of the game, I’m now wishing to get back in the trade. I’m looking to go self employed and work on domestic installations/repairs/callout only.
Whilst I was an apprentice, I found the work and study very easy, I was very good with my hands and was a fast learner.
What I’m really asking is, what do I need to do to become a fully qualified electician and get back on the tools?
What qualifications do I need to gain, what practical experience would I need to gain?
As I’ve been out of the game for so long I haven’t got a clue. But I’m still practical and good with my hands... and I still have my Elliot Lucas pliers.

Life has thrown me a curve ball and I’m having to make adjustments.
Any advice would be much appreciated chaps.

Hello
If you just wish to do domestic work register with a Part P scheme NICEIC, Elecsa, Stroma etc. Get some public liability insurance and a multi functional tester. Do you feel competent to work alone including the testing and producing the paperwork? If not, maybe a couple of years working as a sparks mate is what you need.

Hello
If you just wish to do domestic work register with a Part P scheme NICEIC, Elecsa, Stroma etc. Get some public liability insurance and a multi functional tester. Do you feel competent to work alone including the testing and producing the paperwork? If not, maybe a couple of years working as a sparks mate is what you need.
And that's it you're a Spark, simple isn't it?

Spooky, I returned to the trade after 25 odd years I left the tools in 1987, when I spoke to Stroma and C&G they would not accept/recognise my old qualifications due to passage of time. I would suggest the best route for you would be to complete a 2365 L2 & L3 & 18th edition as a minimum, there are shorter routes but I found it good to go back to the start and learn it all again.

Do the 18th Edition regs and then send that along with your 236 parts 1 & 2 to the JIB. You were apprenticed pre-NVQ3 so you should get your Gold Card with Electrician Grade.
Maybe do some agency work to get you back into it as although you will have the grade you have forgot it all by your own admission , which would be expected after 25 years!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.
It seems that technically, I might be be a spark. Even so, I would feel a fraud if I was to just go back out there and call myself an electrician. I do remember a lot of the stuff I learnt, it’s all still there in the deep recesses of my brain, it just takes a lot more thought to recall. Obviously, I’m very rusty when it comes to the practical side of things, but it won’t take long to shake that rust off.
You’re right, I definitely need to look at doing the 18th edition regs.
I think I’ll also make a few calls tomorrow and see if my qualifications are actually still valid, if so, I’ll work as a sparks mate for a while to shake off that ring rust.
In 1992, when I was 20 years old and had just completed the AM1, I was getting paid £125 day rate. Friday was POETS day, Saturday was time and a half with an early finish, Sunday was double bubble also with an early finish. A brand new 2 bedroom flat in zone 4 london cost me £30k - 1 years earnings. Halcyon days.
Today I see sparks getting £200 day rate... 27 years later! Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Thanks again guys.

Do the 18th Edition regs and then send that along with your 236 parts 1 & 2 to the JIB. You were apprenticed pre-NVQ3 so you should get your Gold Card with Electrician Grade.
Maybe do some agency work to get you back into it as although you will have the grade you have forgot it all by your own admission , which would be expected after 25 years!

am1 and am2 with 236/1 and 236/2 will be needed to get a JIB card.

Reply to Want to get back into the trade after 25 yrs out in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock