Discuss Want to remove fitted wardrobe, socket looks to be fixed in? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sarahc_

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

We would like to try and remove our fitted wardrobe and the first challenge I can see, being a bit clueless with this sort of thing, is the electric socket appears to be somehow fixed in to the back of the wardrobe. Possibly with a fixing through the top and/or the back of the wardrobe.

I’ve attached photos to show. I’m very nervous about unscrewing or touching anything electrical :/

Could an electrician advise whether this looks like a simple enough job? I’m not completely daft and have done DIY around the house but this makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks
Sarah

Attachments

• Want to remove fitted wardrobe, socket looks to be fixed in? 4AEE149A-9ABA-47C8-B27C-CB33896A9C14 - EletriciansForums.net
    4AEE149A-9ABA-47C8-B27C-CB33896A9C14.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 23
  • Want to remove fitted wardrobe, socket looks to be fixed in? 46CFA181-CB51-4623-B9EE-AC0420AE1CE3 - EletriciansForums.net
    46CFA181-CB51-4623-B9EE-AC0420AE1CE3.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Want to remove fitted wardrobe, socket looks to be fixed in? B4A72935-5FFF-45F8-AAD0-30C7F48202C4 - EletriciansForums.net
    B4A72935-5FFF-45F8-AAD0-30C7F48202C4.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 24
Better off with someone experienced in situ, Sarah.
It might be quite a simple job but you never know what you might find.
Call an electrician is the best bet.

Last edited:
You might discover that it’s as simple as there’s an existing socket behind it and that socket is simply basically an extension cable plugged in to it. Either way, there’s no harm in dismantling the woodwork around it until you have a clear view.

As above

You can remove the wooden from around the socket, leaving the socket untouched just , being very careful not to snag any hidden cables that lerks behind

Once you have the wood removed it will become much much clearer what you have

As above remove the wood first. Don’t want to dive in head first to find you have cables hanging out the wall.

IMO best to call an electrician and have the piece of mind.

Reply to Want to remove fitted wardrobe, socket looks to be fixed in? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock