Discuss Water bonding in gas meter box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just had a boiler put in on a grant scheme.

Water main earth bonding was connected in with the existing gas bonding's pipe clamp on the outlet pipework of the gas meter inside the meter box, then taken through the backplate of the gas meter box, then goes along behind the units to the water stop tap location inside the kitchen.

"at risk" for gas ingress as far as I can see.

To be clear about obstacles; the bungalow is all done in laminate floor over floor boards with no ready underfloor access and this part is an extension in concrete floor;
The previously installed main gas bonding comes from through the loft and down the outside wall. It is the one that comes along the wall to the right of the gas meter box and up through the meter box bottom entry.
To be clear the bottom entry edge is pinched out for the gas bonding cable to enter not drilled or pierced.

There is a corner kitchen cupboard unit on the other side of the wall in these images.
The gas pipework entry isn't visible as it's behind there, though I suppose that would have been the preferred gas bonding location in an ideal world.

So as it stands the water pipe bonding cable currently comes through from gas the meter box, underneath and behind the units then to the stop tap location.

Are there reasons why this couldn't come through the wall elsewhere on the same mortar line perhaps to the right of the box and connected to the gas bonding cable outside of the meter box? If so would this be prefferable to going through the box bottom entry to the gas bonding clamp again the same way as the gas bonding cable?

Is it hard to do a sleeve perhaps under the existing units?

Also Interested to know a bit more about the bonding in general and with regard to the boiler installation.
Any info or thought's appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-07 at 22-50-55 tb-102-location-of-protective-equipotential-bonding-on-gas-p...png
    279.9 KB · Views: 50
  • a3.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 48
  • a2.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 04.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 49
can't undersand why there's a bonding cable run on the outside wall. there's no problem daisychaining from gas bond to water bond or vice versa, as long as both go to the MET.

The new bonding cable to the water service should have exited the meter box the same way the existing cable is in the bottom of the meter box and then drilled in through the wall below or beside the box. As you know It is not permitted to drill holes in the meter box like that as any gas leaking could enter the buildings cavity. The hole needs to be properly sealed, from what I can see I believe only a gas safe registered person is permitted to do this.

The new bonding cable to the water service should have exited the meter box the same way the existing cable is in the bottom of the meter box and then drilled in through the wall below or beside the box. As you know It is not permitted to drill holes in the meter box like that as any gas leaking could enter the buildings cavity. The hole needs to be properly sealed, from what I can see I believe only a gas safe registered person is permitted to do this.
yes, you need to be gas safe registered to squirt a bit of silicone into a hole. what a farce.

Are the gas & water pipes metal or plastic?
Everything's in copper. Only plastic I know of is a few meters to the bathroom taps off the copper hot and cold from under one of the bedrooms which replaced some old lead and the gas service has been redone in the yellow plastic a few years ago. As far as I know the water service is whatever the original would be in.

can't undersand why there's a bonding cable run on the outside wall. there's no problem daisychaining from gas bond to water bond or vice versa, as long as both go to the MET.
it's the previously installed gas bonding up and over through the loft to the electric cupboard at the other side of the house done years ago mainly I think because of the solid floor in the extension and laminate everywhere else with no hatches just for time and convenience I reckon.

Got the impression he was a bit of a knob the guy that did this. Pretty sure that's right about the using the bottom entry of the box.

Silicone is not approved for sealing holes in a gas meter box.
The gas safe bloke I rang said something about a kit, read about it somewhere too and think I've heard about it before; think it's a powder that you mix or something but has to be gas supplier approved I think it said and the hole has to be 10mm or less. On the plumber's forums though one guy insists it needs a new meter box/two hour job.

Obviously there's also a hole through either side of the cavity wall though as well.

Seems a bit over the top a new meter box. Mines got sealant in it (proper stuff) around where the pipe goes through it and it was a proper gas guy that did that.

right thanks, just with it being probably near the meter installation thought it would be for the best. cemented in place and with a good bit of non setting compound perhaps in the end

You said it's going near the gas meter box though. Not in it ?

You said it's going near the gas meter box though. Not in it ?
Yes possibly quite close to the gas meter installation maybe within a foot on the same mortar line. Trying to balance safety, practicality and lastly looks. At the moment they've asked me if i'd be happy just sealing the current hole in the box. I havent replied with an alternative suggestion yet as it's not immediately dangerous.

Reply to Water bonding in gas meter box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net