Discuss What can I do with a HNC Electrical Engineering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My situation: I have completed a HNC in Electrical Engineering but do not currently work in a technical role. I would like to change to a more hands-on role or at least more technical role (or at least one with room for development).

A role in electrical maintenance (industrial) would be ideal, although this is based on nothing more than my own research, but the only entry level roles appear to be four year apprenticeships that simply won't work with my personal circumstances - I don't live at home with mum and dad.

Although I have a HNC, I am in the perhaps strange position of possessing no other electrical qualifications. Is the HNC on its own worth anything on its own?

a course in the field of automation e.g. plc might be advantageous.

If you want some fun, go to the IET forum (then IEE = Institute of Electrical Engineers).
Go back to the introduction of Part P and the -then- much more stringent areas where electrical works could not be done in a home without notification and (therefore) membership of a CPS - NICEIC, NAPIT, etc.

It was hilarious as fully paid up IEE members of many years standing discovered that although they had HNC and degrees in Electrical Engineering were not longer allowed to install a couple of extra sockets in their own kitchens! Oh how I laughed.

Its a bit easier now, in the domestic market, as there's not so many areas that require membership of a CPS and (I believe) some CPS will give an HNC a pass through some of the formal quals. Practical skills are still needed though!.

I have no experience in industrial maintenance roles for electrical installations. Hope others can clarify.

It was hilarious as fully paid up IEE members of many years standing discovered that although they had HNC and degrees in Electrical Engineering were not longer allowed to install a couple of extra sockets in their own kitchens! Oh how I laughed.
It's even worse with gas... you could have been the bloke who designed the boiler, made the boiler or be the worlds most eminent boiler technician... but unless you've paid your membership fees to gas safe... it's illegal to touch it ! The concept of 'competence' is totally irrelevant !

If you want some fun, go to the IET forum (then IEE = Institute of Electrical Engineers).
Go back to the introduction of Part P and the -then- much more stringent areas where electrical works could not be done in a home without notification and (therefore) membership of a CPS - NICEIC, NAPIT, etc.

Its a bit easier now, in the domestic market, as there's not so many areas that require membership of a CPS and (I believe) some CPS will give an HNC a pass through some of the formal quals. Practical skills are still needed though!.

I have no experience in industrial maintenance roles for electrical installations. Hope others can clarify.
I would also be interested in installation but think I might be barking up the wrong tree as I'm already behind all the lads leaving with level 2 & 3 qualifications also looking for experience. The HNC barely touched on BS 7671 and its practical application at all, perhaps reflecting the biases of the tutors.

Where in UK do you live ? Most Utility companies have well paid apprenticeships if you can take a bit of financial hit for a year or two.
For example WPD pay design trainees (need HNC electrical engineering) £28K. Should add they pretty much don't need to know anything about BS 7671 so you're halfway there already!

Last edited:
a course in the field of automation e.g. plc might be advantageous.
This is what I've been looking at - are there any courses would you recommend?

I am working on a udemy online course at the moment to develop my understanding of ladder logic and PLC software.
[automerge]1587221849[/automerge]
Where in UK do you live ? Most Utility companies have well paid apprenticeships if you can take a bit of financial hit for a year or two.
For example WPD pay design trainees (need HNC electrical engineering) £28K. Should add they pretty much don't need to know anything about BS 7671 so you're halfway there already!
Not a bad idea at all but you need to be careful about which DNO and which apprenticeship, as I've found out...

That is a fantastic salary for a trainee position though!

20 Best hnc hnd electrical engineer jobs (Hiring Now!) | SimplyHired - https://www.simplyhired.co.uk/search?q=hnc+hnd+electrical+engineer&job=gZSSAKz8tjzqUE8xzLw2bGdCIBkeZyVOhXwSKdZRERSJwKeQKlOvFg

HNC and HND are really good qualifications which employers love because they blend theory with practice. In my experience holders tend to understand and can remember what they have learned and then apply it. When I worked most of my staff were HNC/HND who then did top up courses, day release or night school to become BSc/BEng. Because they had studied so much they knew an impressive amount - and can use test equipment too. My dad is ONC then HNC in chemistry through night school. My brother is OND then HND in civil engineering and then day release to obtain BSc(Hons). I did the 'short 3 year course' of BSc in Engineering as they both like to remind me!

I googled 'fields of work for hnc in electrical engineering' to arrive at the link above - among many.

20 Best hnc hnd electrical engineer jobs (Hiring Now!) | SimplyHired - https://www.simplyhired.co.uk/search?q=hnc+hnd+electrical+engineer&job=gZSSAKz8tjzqUE8xzLw2bGdCIBkeZyVOhXwSKdZRERSJwKeQKlOvFg

HNC and HND are really good qualifications which employers love because they blend theory with practice. In my experience holders tend to understand and can remember what they have learned and then apply it. When I worked most of my staff were HNC/HND who then did top up courses, day release or night school to become BSc/BEng. Because they had studied so much they knew an impressive amount - and can use test equipment too. My dad is ONC then HNC in chemistry through night school. My brother is OND then HND in civil engineering and then day release to obtain BSc(Hons). I did the 'short 3 year course' of BSc in Engineering as they both like to remind me!

I googled 'fields of work for hnc in electrical engineering' to arrive at the link above - among many.
My HNC had effectively no practical component, which is a real shame.

I've not really had any luck applying to possibly appropriate roles thus far.

I think that the OP may have put the cart before the horse here. It is a bit like all the snowflakes who go to UNI paying large tuition fees and end up with a large student load and a job filling shel in Tesco’s. You may find a DNO who will take you in as a trainee engineer and after you have done their training the money is very good and you can keep your hands clean.

back in the sixties I started with the LEB ( London Electricity Board ) as a trainee engineer. I had one A level therefore no good for UNI but I did ONC year 2 and then HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I learnt a lot on the job and got some really good hands on experience. After four and a quarter years I passed out and was offered a job as a heavy current distribution engineer with the LEB.

i can honestly say that from that day on the only part of my HNC that I used at work was Ohms Law. The rest was H&S or based on my previous on the job training. It was a good job, and though the hours were long and lots of emergency call outs, I throughly enjoyed it and it gave myself and my family a good standard of living. I got out soon after Margaret Thatcher sold off the Nationalised ESI.

so I suggest that the OP gives one of the DNOs a try.

I think that the OP may have put the cart before the horse here. It is a bit like all the snowflakes who go to UNI paying large tuition fees and end up with a large student load and a job filling shel in Tesco’s. You may find a DNO who will take you in as a trainee engineer and after you have done their training the money is very good and you can keep your hands clean.

back in the sixties I started with the LEB ( London Electricity Board ) as a trainee engineer. I had one A level therefore no good for UNI but I did ONC year 2 and then HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I learnt a lot on the job and got some really good hands on experience. After four and a quarter years I passed out and was offered a job as a heavy current distribution engineer with the LEB.

i can honestly say that from that day on the only part of my HNC that I used at work was Ohms Law. The rest was H&S or based on my previous on the job training. It was a good job, and though the hours were long and lots of emergency call outs, I throughly enjoyed it and it gave myself and my family a good standard of living. I got out soon after Margaret Thatcher sold off the Nationalised ESI.

so I suggest that the OP gives one of the DNOs a try.
I completed the HNC a while ago while working for a DNO. Don't want to go into the details but the training hasn't really materialised. Rather than flog a dead horse I am looking at other options.

Turbine companies love Graduate engineers to Train. G/E, Siemens, Mitzibushi and my Employer. Plus you can live anywhere as long as it’s 90mins from an Airport.

Turbine companies love Graduate engineers to Train. G/E, Siemens, Mitzibushi and my Employer. Plus you can live anywhere as long as it’s 90mins from an Airport.
guess that rules out the \Outback then. :p :p

It's even worse with gas... you could have been the bloke who designed the boiler, made the boiler or be the worlds most eminent boiler technician... but unless you've paid your membership fees to gas safe... it's illegal to touch it ! The concept of 'competence' is totally irrelevant !
It's called Protectionism. It was big in the US in the late 1960s. Jimmy Hoffer was an ardent supporter. They still haven't found his remains to this day.
[automerge]1587567671[/automerge]
My situation: I have completed a HNC in Electrical Engineering but do not currently work in a technical role. I would like to change to a more hands-on role or at least more technical role (or at least one with room for development).

A role in electrical maintenance (industrial) would be ideal, although this is based on nothing more than my own research, but the only entry level roles appear to be four year apprenticeships that simply won't work with my personal circumstances - I don't live at home with mum and dad.

Although I have a HNC, I am in the perhaps strange position of possessing no other electrical qualifications. Is the HNC on its own worth anything on its own?
If you are looking for a role as an Electrician, as most people perceive it, then, to be fair, writing as someone who went through the whole marathon of HNC, HND and BSc Mechanical and Electrical Engineering many moons ago, nothing you learn throughout that prepares you for installing electrical installations either domestic or corporate. The principles of electricity you will know but that's a very small part of the process. The conditions and rules specific to how you select and install the equipment that goes together to comprise an electrical installation are voluminous and you really need to be aware of them as you go about the business. There are some fast track courses that purport to get you to certification in as little as 8 weeks of classroom tuition but they are a bit pricey. They do seem legitimate. That could be one pathway if you could put the finance together. Consider it an investment and it could actually be considered a legitimate start up expense and therefore tax deductable if you set up your own Ltd company as a service provider.

Last edited:

Reply to What can I do with a HNC Electrical Engineering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net