Discuss What does a landlord electrical inspection involve? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My mum is due to have her five yearly landlord electrical inspection. She's a little worried about letting an electrician into her home due to covid. She has asked the electrical company what it involves but the guy on the phone didn't seem to know and just fobbed her off.

Is there a minimum standard that needs to be met? Is he legally obliged to go into every room and access every socket outlet even if that means moving wordrobes and appliances? Or will he only have to get to electrical points that are easily accessible? Any info would be appreciated.

you or your mum would agree certain limitations with the electrician. e.g. inaccessible sockets etc. not inspected. obviously the more limitations there are detracts from the report's value, but it's common the closely inspect a proportion of accessories on a circuit, not all of them. you should end up with a 8 - 9 page report commonly referred to as a EICR (electrical installation condition report).

you or your mum would agree certain limitations with the electrician. e.g. inaccessible sockets etc. not inspected. obviously the more limitations there are detracts from the report's value, but it's common the closely inspect a proportion of accessories on a circuit, not all of them. you should end up with a 8 - 9 page report commonly referred to as a EICR (electrical installation condition report).
Thanks, do you know if it makes a difference whether or not it's social housing or private rented? She's social housing.

you or your mum would agree certain limitations with the electrician.
Wouldn't have thought most landlords would be happy for their tenants to agree the limitations of any inspection?
Infact as the % of items inspected reflects on the overall cost most landlords will accept a very low inspection % rate (eg 25%).
What will he be doing for 3 hours?
I work on the basis of 20mins per circuit, so if 7 circuits = 140mins.
30-40 mins for mains inspections Ze/pfc/checking earth bonds/supplementary bonding ......
That is 180mins (3 hrs) and a bit more to complete the paper work in the office!

Attending electrician(s) will observe safe practices and take into account any clients need. They will wear a mask-keep distance-will have their own flask for tea-will wear gloves-where possible open windows-have wipes to clean anything touched-thats all assuming they know their onions.

Wouldn't have thought most landlords would be happy for their tenants to agree the limitations of any inspection?
Infact as the % of items inspected reflects on the overall cost most landlords will accept a very low inspection % rate (eg 25%).

I work on the basis of 20mins per circuit, so if 7 circuits = 140mins.
30-40 mins for mains inspections Ze/pfc/checking earth bonds/supplementary bonding ......
That is 180mins (3 hrs) and a bit more to complete the paper work in the office!
i read OP as that his mum was the landlady, not the tenant. has since been shown as she is tenant.

In the current climate, i think any tenant can refuse entry on health grounds.

I don't suppose she's been messing around with the electrics since the last EICR was performed, so waiting another 3-6 months shouldn't be a problem for the LL

Reply to What does a landlord electrical inspection involve? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock