Discuss What is a 'plug in' solar panel system? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My best mate has been medically retired from the prison service at the young age of 52 and has time on his hands :D

He's looking at a 'plug in' solar panel system. I've a read through it and with my limited experience of solar it looks like is is no different to a normal solar panel system, they just aren't taking advantage of the 'Smart export Guarantee' (SEG), meaning no MCS certification is needed. Is there any other difference that I am not seeing?

They are saying 'plug in', but this sounds a bit like a gimmick to make people think it is simple, or perhaps it is simple?

What is easier or different about this install compared to a normal solar install you would have done?

I found the idea terrifying if it was real, until I read this line:
"Installing a Plug-In Solar kit is a simple Plug and Play assembly. You can install ALL the kit until the final connection (this will need to be performed by an electrician who will need to install a circuit breaker on a dedicated circuit"

I was fearing a back-fed live 3 pin plug!!!
Of course they could still kill themselves on the DC side, but it sounds like that is the "plug and play" bit.

I found the idea terrifying if it was real, until I read this line:
"Installing a Plug-In Solar kit is a simple Plug and Play assembly. You can install ALL the kit until the final connection (this will need to be performed by an electrician who will need to install a circuit breaker on a dedicated circuit"

I was fearing a back-fed live 3 pin plug!!!
Of course they could still kill themselves on the DC side, but it sounds like that is the "plug and play" bit.
Can you see any difference to a normal solar install Tim?

It seems they are basically just getting the customer to do the whole installation apart from the final connection to a circuit breaker?? They are then calling it a plug and play to make it sound simple, even though it doesn't seem to be different to a standard solar install with solar panels and an inverter.

My best mate has been medically retired from the prison service at the young age of 52 and has time on his hands :D

He's looking at a 'plug in' solar panel system. I've a read through it and with my limited experience of solar it looks like is is no different to a normal solar panel system, they just aren't taking advantage of the 'Smart export Guarantee' (SEG), meaning no MCS certification is needed. Is there any other difference that I am not seeing?

They are saying 'plug in', but this sounds a bit like a gimmick to make people think it is simple, or perhaps it is simple?

What is easier or different about this install compared to a normal solar install you would have done?

Something that may be of interest to you??

Instead of demanding MCS certification, Octopus Energy now only requires applicants to provide confirmation of DNO (Distribution Network Operator) notification under EREC G98 or the necessary permissions under EREC G99.13

(SparkyChick - Edited to removed duplicated quote, and as a side note @Bsharp , when you're still a new user you have to wait for your posts to be moderated... posting again won't help the situation)

Last edited by a moderator:
Something that may be of interest to you??

Instead of demanding MCS certification, Octopus Energy now only requires applicants to provide confirmation of DNO (Distribution Network Operator) notification under EREC G98 or the necessary permissions under EREC G99.13

(SparkyChick - Edited to removed duplicated quote, and as a side note @Bsharp , when you're still a new user you have to wait for your posts to be moderated... posting again won't help the situation)
Could you expand a little please @Bsharp ?
Are you meaning that octopus allows you to take advantage of the SEG without requiring MCS certification?

Could you expand a little please @Bsharp ?
Are you meaning that octopus allows you to take advantage of the SEG without requiring MCS certification?
Apparently so, I’ve copied and pasted below.

Octopus Energy, named by the Renewable Energy Association (REA) as “the company that has done the most to advance UK renewables”, has made a change to its terms and conditions: solar PV systems no longer have to be MCS certified in order for end users to access the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG).

Reply to What is a 'plug in' solar panel system? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net