Discuss What Job Haven't You Done ...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So has Electricians is there any electrical job that you haven't been able to do during your careers that you would love to have a go at.
I think Iwould like to have a crack at something like a castle or possibly a large theatre.

What about everyone else........

Never really had the pleasure of working in houses apart from my own or for family and I'm glad. Wish I could have had more time in heavy industry like quarries etc.

Yeah I've done a bit in a couple of quarries.

^^^^ I would imagine working in a really old asylum would be quite spooky and not a job I would want to do without a few lads working as a team to pass the time.

I'd like to have a go at working in somewhere like Disneyland, where there's a big secret backstage area which you wouldn't otherwise get to see. Not only that but making things work which the general public have experienced the effects of but hadn't considered were even there, like wiring up the thing that makes the haunted house smell all spooky.

Either that or somewhere with a lot of history behind it - maybe a castle or palace, cathedral, or the houses of parliament; I've heard there's a lot of work that needs doing on that place. It doesn't matter what the exact job is, but imagine being able to tell people you've changed the light bulb which lights up the clock face on Elizabeth tower, or run some tray in the undercroft where Guy Fawkes' gunpowder plot was foiled.

I would have liked to have worked abroad and seen more of the world whilst younger. I rule this out now as being close to my family is everything.

I have worked in a local mental hospital/prison before, upgrading EM lighting. Was a tense few weeks.

Pretty much done the variety thing,with industrial,commercial and domestic,3 nuke sites,2 steelworks and just about most construction scenarios...been states and Israel...fairly unshockable now...even watched a neighbours numb son,as a kid,attempt to revive his recently run over yorkshire terrier,using the leads off a battery charger...(alarming and un-fruitful...)

I suppose ,if there has to be a job i may have shined at,it would have been Ian Brady's ECT machine operator...almost certain it would have required much larger capacitors...:)

I would have liked to be around in the early days when things were not taken for granted the way it is now.
Imagine going to a lecture given by Tesla and his like.
Nowadays we are surprised by very little.

Youre right there. I've enabled an RSS feed from an electrical section of a science website and they're finding things and creating things daily, yet nobody is reading or commenting on them. I'm even worried a bit thinking it might be annoying some members having them posted every day.

Last edited:
Like Ruston, my only regret is not having a time machine to go back to the pioneering era of electrical crafts when men were real men, dynamos were real dynamos and distribution board neutral bar screws were real distribution board neutral bar screws. I've done all the modern equivalents but not quite the way I would like to have done them - wired stages but not with salt-water dimmers, wired churches but not with PILC cable, fitted up generators but not steam-driven DC ones. etc.

In reality things would not be quite as easy as simply winding back the clock. I enjoy having a hand in all aspects of electrickery from design to bending conduit, the first to earn my keep and the second to keep in practice. Back then, there would not have been the choice, as the men in the drawing office didn't get their hands dirty and the sparks weren't allowed in the drawing office. I would miss that and probably have to keep jumping back into the time machine to switch roles.

Would love work in Buck Palace, or one of the Royal Residences just to see how they really live, got a vague idea but it would be interesting.

Like others I’d like a time machine to go back and photograph all the open slate and OCB boards I consigned to the skip. Metropolitan Vickers, Reyrolle, Brookhurst, British Thompson Huston, all in the skip.

Now I’m interested in old distribution systems I think of myself as a vandal. But it was my job and I had to do it, either that of we would have been shut down by the M&Q inspectorate. It was dangerous stuff and you really had to know what you were doing otherwise you would be leaving in a wooden box.

The only picture I have is this, the back of a Brookhurst panel

TRK-2-switch_zps90a2a75e.jpg

Love to work in lighting maintenance in the Victoria's Secret shoot room. Or maybe something in R&D on a military base.
I don't think you'd find R&D on a military base kind of scenario. I have a friend who works at BAE Systems in stoke and he works with CAD designing weaponry and various parts and systems for drones or planes etc

I think by the time it's near a military base it has been commissioned for use and isn't in R&D.

He's not meant to talk about it but after a couple of sherbets he does. There's an island they test their bombing and stuff on just off some coast somewhere (I forget where) and he goes down wiry tracking stuff to check accuracy and impact quality or whatever.

He tests pistols and things quite a bit too but always in ranges.

Reply to What Job Haven't You Done ...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net