Discuss What to do with distributers earth after conversion to TT & advice on where to place the rod in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon all

I am looking for some advice as on what to with the suppliers earth after a conversion to a TT system.

Current issue is earthing arrangement is TNS, reading was nearly 60 Ohms, reported issued to DNO, they are effectively washing their hands of it as the (based on what the engineer and contact centre people have said) the earthing in the area has known issues with breaks/degradation and the home owner is to supply a their own means of earthing.

house is urban semi, 30s build, and couple things I wanted advice on was:

1 - The placement of the rod - is there anyway of finding out where underground pipes for other services would likely to be when drilling down and put the rod in? It will be a fair bit of graft as most of the driveway is concrete, however there is a patch of lawn (about 2m x 2m) at the front that potentially could be used for the rod, however the run would be about 5/6 meters to where the supply goes into the home and the MET.

2 - The 16mm earth that is attached to the sheath, as this is not providing a reliable earth, what to do with this bit of cable once the rod goes in? Leave it in the MET alongside the TT earth cable? or disconnect this (leaving the TT earth cable in the MET) and putting the disconnected end of the earth into something like a service head block ?

Last edited:
1. Hire a ground scanner for the day
2. This is more interesting and people’s views may differ - normally I’d be looking at leaving it in but as the DNO have confessed that it’s unreliable it could feasibly create a situation where other’s fault current ends finding a route via your installation - so I’d say remove it from the origin cable clamp and be a pure TT.

2. This is more interesting and people’s views may differ - normally I’d be looking at leaving it in but as the DNO have confessed that it’s unreliable it could feasibly create a situation where other’s fault current ends finding a route via your installation - so I’d say remove it from the origin cable clamp and be a p
2. This is more interesting and people’s views may differ - normally I’d be looking at leaving it in but as the DNO have confessed that it’s unreliable it could feasibly create a situation where other’s fault current ends finding a route via your installation - so I’d say remove it from the origin cable clamp and be a pure TT.
Thanks for the tip, I was learning more towards your view with regards to removing it from the origin cable clamp too.

If you can dig down by hand to a meter in soil (e.g. using one of those narrow fence spades, etc) you should be clear of most things like cables/pipes.

To check of big stuff the "line search before you dig" web site offers free registration and search, but not all utilities have signed up to it. We got results from SSE and SGN (gas) but nobody related to water or telecoms.

As above, if the supply earth is dodgy I would disconnect it.

If you can dig down by hand to a meter in soil (e.g. using one of those narrow fence spades, etc) you should be clear of most things like cables/pipes.

To check of big stuff the "line search before you dig" web site offers free registration and search, but not all utilities have signed up to it. We got results from SSE and SGN (gas) but nobody related to water or telecoms.

As above, if the supply earth is dodgy I would disconnect it.
Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can see if the utilities are registered for that area

The DNO is under no obligation to supply an earth, but if they do, they have an obligation to maintain it. If they supplied the original earth send them a registered letter asking for it to be brought up to standard.

The DNO is under no obligation to supply an earth, but if they do, they have an obligation to maintain it. If they supplied the original earth send them a registered letter asking for it to be brought up to standard.
It's not quite as simple as that. In this case they are withdrawing their provision, and for stated reasons. The only thing they're obliged to provide at all times is their Neutral.

It's not quite as simple as that. In this case they are withdrawing their provision, and for stated reasons. The only thing they're obliged to provide at all times is their Neutral.
I have seen a few threads regarding back and forth with DNO's over earthing issues, sounds like in the case I have (of person who owns the house anyway) that the only way it would be resolved would be manager works in the area, digging up roads etc which the DNO are not going to do. I does make me wonder about nearby residents on whether or not they are aware of any potential issues they have with their earthing.

I used one of those ‘safe digs’ web search, when I was considering an earth rod for my property, for a tub supply. It was a new build at the time, but didn’t show either my gas or electric supply. Now it might of been because it was so new at the time, but doesn’t inspire confidence.

Reply to What to do with distributers earth after conversion to TT & advice on where to place the rod in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock