Discuss whats needed to register in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

YOU DONT READ DO YOU

This reply was addressed to a member who is trying to get Part P registration - not one who is registered.

You are also very cockey - Any complaints procedure against your work would involve a senior engineer being able to inspect your work and requiring you to put it right if it is unsafe or not to the current standards. Or did your qualify above everyone else.

I read perfectly well thank you, try it!

When did i mention anything about being registered?

I am not a member of a competent persons scheme - and I am not cockey, but I am competent

I did not qualify above anyone else, but tneither did they qualify above me. The point is (barring any regs contraventions etc) that if my work is installed in accordance with the current edition of the regs, and is tested satisfactorily as such, then no-one has the authority to question my decisions.

One person may say "well I would have done it like this", but as long as the way I have done it complies, then their opinion is just that - an opionion

I find your attitude to posts quite aggressive, and like Cirrus says, lets keep it civil!

Q1. As I am NICEIC registered I give that answer (I think all the others have similar):
  1. If customer decides that they wish to complain for whatever reason about the electrical work, they complete a Complaints Form
  2. A senior engineer from NICEIC is allocated. They will confirm details and visit site to inspect.
  3. If the work is unsafe or not up to standard, the visit will be charged to the Registered electrician. Otherwise NICEIC takes the cost.
  4. The Registered electrician will be given a report, expected to rectify the installation and may be revisited by NICEIC to check his work.
  5. If the electrician is unable to put right (bust or refuses), NICEIC insurance will pay for another electrician to correct installation.
  6. If there is a commercial dispute between Registered electrician and customer the complaint procedure cannot be activated.
It is very difficult to litigate for bad workmanship unless someone's life has been threatened or eliminated by faulty workmanship. E.g. a valid defense is that I am compenent and carried out the work to the best of my ability.

I understand that the industry is setting up a means of reporting bad workmanship so that obvious failures (e.g. bad earthing) can be reported for pursuit. Also the HSE regulations are being strengthened to match the strength of the CORGI regulations. Currently EWR only applies while an electrician is working on site - as soon as work is complete EWR no longer applies (- daft!!)

Q2. If you wish to self-certify work under Part P, the electrician has to be registered with an appropriate body, e.g. NICEIC, NAPIT, etc. Sorry about confussion, this whole thread was started by a guy who wish to work towards getting registered under Part P.

Hope that clears this up!

And there is the point Malc, you are NICEIC registered, so you must follow their rules. I am not, so I dont have to. No NICEIC engineer, senior or otherwise, has the power to overule my work. My work complies with BS7671, and that is the requirement

And I CAN self certify - The Approved Documnet to Part P specifically allows me to do this - although I believe YOUR definition of 'self-certifying' may differ from mine.

I follow para's 1.20B, 1.21, 1.22 & 1.23 which specificaly states that because I am qualified and competent to do so, I should test my own work and compile BS7671 certificates for submission to the LABC. This is self-certifying my own work, and is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I copy and paste from Part P website:

Does Part P Apply To Me?

Part P applies to all electrical installation work carried out in dwellings. However, you do not need to tell your local authority's Building Control department about:
  • repairs and maintenance work or
  • extra power points or lighting points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in specially defined areas such as a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors)
If you are unsure you should contact your local authority's Building Control department or, if you are already dealing with a Competent Person, they should be able to advise you.

To find your local Building Control department visit the LABC website

CHRIST i only started by asking a few questions :cool: down lads i understood the forum was here to help lol i think by the replys i got i now understand:eek:if i dont now i never will :Dmust think of something else to ask soon but will be careful on how i word it:cool:thanks for all the replys though

How can so much confusion be still here within the trade 3 years after this part p nonesense was dreamed up
We hear complaints continually from within the trade that the general public know nothing of part p and if they do know of it then its ignored
How can we not see the nonesense for what it is when the trade itself after 3 years is still arguing about its set up/function/entry requirements etc Then be upset that its not better known generally by the public

Anyone installing electrical installations in mainly Domestic properties has to comply with Bs 7671 or a simmilar standard
All installations should be tested and inspected and the appropriate certificate issued
To test and inspect your work You need to be competent
Competence can be gained by qualifications to the current edition of the regs Test and inspection experience and knowledge and experience of the type of work carried out

Part p is a requirement to comply with the building regs
Most electrical work in domestic properties may be on the list of work that requires notification to labc
You notify labc before carrying out the work and possibly pay a fee set by the local office (unless other work is being overseen by guilding control in which case the electrical fee is included in this)
They are then responsible for the test and inspection (no fee payable)
They may if they please accept your own certificates if they consider you competent
(they will generally do this because they cant test and inspect themselves,so its more convieniant to use your's)

To avoid having to notify labc
Buisnesses (not individuals) can be registered as a competent person to self certify their work as complying with the building regs
For a buisness to be able to self certify They must join one of the government approved bodies who are listed as registration bodies by the Communities and local government Dept
To qualify as a competent person The buisness must possess the required knowledge /books /paperwork test meters and so on
Now to come full circle
To join a scheme you must pay their fee
Dont join and you must pay labc fees

It just boils down in the end To whom does my money now be gifted

Reply to whats needed to register in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net