Discuss Where do communal areas fall in the PRS law? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone got a solid answer on what the legal responsibilities are of building management companies when it comes to certifying their part of an installation, both in common areas and with their supply to individual flats?

I've run into several cases with EICRS in the latest dash for PRS compliance where I've asked my client (the landlord) to seek information from the BNO - and the management company clearly have no clue about anything. These have been in larger properties, purpose built as flats in the last 20 years - where the DNOs responsibility fairly clearly stops at their incomer....

It's often not practical to test the riser cable - even if it's possible to get access to the main fuse, and sometimes even that is difficult....

Some buildings have small CUs in riser cupboards, with 63A MCB or similar protecting 16mm T&E to the flat (with no way to tell where routing is), others come in armoured from a basement with individual main fuses, but no way to isolate anything....

Then there are the intercoms, often separately powered from the main building, often in 12V, but not always....

Is it just me, or does the new law seem to leave a loophole where the communal areas never need to be inspected or checked for compliance?

One today I was looking at in SE London, built less than 20 years ago - and in the communal meter cupboard (locked but with a standard fire door key which every flat has to read their meter)...I find this mess...

Where do communal areas fall in the PRS law? IMG_20210605_153449 - EletriciansForums.net

Where do communal areas fall in the PRS law? IMG_20210605_153526 - EletriciansForums.net

Where do communal areas fall in the PRS law? IMG_20210605_153701 - EletriciansForums.net

Might have found why their intercom doesn't work!

And yes that is 2 feeds at 230V at the top of the transformers...

And one of their emergency bulkheads fitted like this in the main stairwell

Where do communal areas fall in the PRS law? IMG_20210605_154149 - EletriciansForums.net

Other than the usual BS7671 compliance (or NOT), is there any specific legal framework or is this a loophole?

A reasonable solution to me would be that every property with multiple dwellings in should have to provide an EICR of their communal electrics to all their leasehold owners on a similar basis to that now required for the flats themselves...

My understanding, in brief, is that the recent law does not cover communal areas at all.

I believe the catch-all relevant law is in fact much older - the Occupiers Liability Act 1957 and 1984 require the owner has a duty of care to anyone who visits, whether a tenant, a visitor, or even in some circumstances an intruder!
There is a requirement "to take such care as in all the circumstances of the case is reasonable to see that the visitor will be reasonably safe in using the premises for the purposes for which he is invited or permitted by the occupier to be there"
5 yearly EICR's of communal areas would be considered mandatory to be taking appropriate care with regard to electrical safety.
I know it's a bit vague but I believe that is the relevant legislation.

Test certificate for communal areas is required if you wanna cover your duties as building owner.

Test certificate for communal areas is required if you wanna cover your duties as building owner.
The problem is that the communal areas often fall between the cracks when there isn't just one building owner. Like when several landlords each own a flat in a block. There would need to be communication between the flat owners, and the appointing of a management committee who take responsibility for maintaining the communal areas.

As has been said, the 2020 private rented sector regs do not specifically mention communal areas.

Typical of the government to leave such a gaping hole...

Reply to Where do communal areas fall in the PRS law? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock