Discuss Where do I put my Earth Spike in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jarmana100

Hi
Having just received my EAL domestic installer certificate and a couple of months into C&G 2330 Level 3 I decided to look into re wiring my house for experience. To my amazement I found I have no main earth connection - I'm confident I should have a TT system in place but presumably who wired the house didn't take into account the most important part. of the installation. Additionally the main gas and water bonds are non existent. Scary to think I've lived in such a potentially dangerous environment for 7 years!

I'm going to have a PME installed at a later date but I thought for experience I'd add my own earth spike and 100mA RCD but to be honest I'm not entirely sure where is best to place the earth spike.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to where's best to place my earth spike - I appreciate that without seeing the location this may be rather tricky but any advice would be greatly appreciated and perhaps I could add some pictures if anyones interested?

thanks

Andy

Are you rural, with the TT? Site the rod as near is practical to do so. odd to think you have no earth! not even an old pipe!(seen a few times)

Sadly the only G&Y on the earthing terminal in the CU (asside from the ccts) are one to the gas under the stairs - not connected and to the main water intake - not connected and the supplementary bonding.

I was thinking that I could drill through the wall to the outside near the CU Then clip the 16mm to the external wall and remove some block paving and run the spike in there. My concern is that I would be potentially trying to hammer it through the foundations with it being directly next to the house?

Sadly the only G&Y on the earthing terminal in the CU (asside from the ccts) are one to the gas under the stairs - not connected and to the main water intake - not connected and the supplementary bonding.

I was thinking that I could drill through the wall to the outside near the CU Then clip the 16mm to the external wall and remove some block paving and run the spike in there. My concern is that I would be potentially trying to hammer it through the foundations with it being directly next to the house?

As 12345aob said are you rural that you think you have a TT system?

Unfortunately I'm not rural - I live in a housing esate in Stoke On Trent!

I actually called the guy I bought the house from and he said he was told that he wasn't allowed to have an earth spike installed and that the main earth was to be connected to the incoming water supply?????? However this connection was not present either:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the suppliers round as a matter of extreme urgency to pme you. It's their responsibility to supply you with asafe supply not yours to have to partially rectify their faults!!. If you call now they should be round in about an hour. I hope.

Funnily enough I rang central networks the other day to mention this and they said i should fill in an on-line application and they would assess whether they could provide a PME in my area. They said this would take them a couple of weeks to assess and if not then it was my responsibility to employ an electrician to install an earth rod.

I'm pretty sure under the supply of electricity regs that they have to provide a Ze of 0.8, 0.35 wher a local earthing arrangement is available. In the middle of butt Flick nowhere, then no earthing is acceptable, but in the middle of an estate , when your neighbour has one?????

Thanks ever so much for the replies. I'll have a word with some of my neighbors and see what they've got. I'll post back with my findings.

IF your house supply is overhead, then its very likely that you would have a TT system.

However, you could perform a loop test at the incoming tails in your DB to establish whether PME is available. At least this will confirm it and you will be able to organise your CU and earthing before its done.

Another way is to look at the overhead power line poles. Generally, if they have made PME available at the poles, there will be a cable coming down said pole to the ground to establish an earth.

After testing if you get a reading of .35 or less then they will hook you up. If not you will have to bury a rod.

Job done.

Reply to Where do I put my Earth Spike in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock