Currently reading:
Which consumer units are best

Discuss Which consumer units are best in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a very old Wylex fuse board which is need to bring up to current standard Amendment 3.

I believe my property is supplied using a TN-S

I'm looking for a new consumer unit that is 11 or 12 way but not sure which brands are best as I plan on going for all rcbo.

So far I've seen Schneider, Hager and Wylex units

Schneider do one called Resi9 that's top of range but can't find any places that sell them, I can only see the Easy 9 for sale

Hager do one called Design 30

Wylex seem well stocked but I hear their rcbos are over sensitive and trip a lot, also they have had a recall in the past so I'm not sure on their quality in today's climate

I'm just wanting some advice on what you guys like to install, money isn't an object so I'm not after any budget stuff

Can anyone post pictures of their installs, be it cabinets or new metal consumer units

A consumer unit is a particular type of distribution board which is intended for simple single phase domestic use.

There are definitions in BS7671

No, BS7671 says 'principally domestic premises' - it is not exclusive. Although I still say that a dist board generally feeds distribution circuits to other sub-boards. Daz

yes and what im saying is acti9 Type A is a single phase only board thanks to the isobar so is technically a consumer unit as well

Are you certain that it has the type testing to be a consumer unit? Do they not make a direct connection kit for it?

If you really want to be pedantic it is an isobar4 distribution board which uses acti9 protection and control devices.

Nice to see pedantry being demonstrated at it's finest! I think the difference is purely semantic, but as a rule 'Consumer Unit' is language is use with domestic customers, other than that it's Distribution Board.

The regulations make a distinction between the two along with all manufacturers. I think it's a bit more than just semantics.

The original 'consumer unit' was specific to domestic single phase installations and incorporated the cutout, metering, main switch and circuit protective devices into a single unit. This was in the 1950s.
What I can't find is a more up to date definition, other than the one in bs7671 which is not overly specific

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431634389.086130.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1431634414.047782.jpg

The regulations make a distinction between the two along with all manufacturers. I think it's a bit more than just semantics.

The original 'consumer unit' was specific to domestic single phase installations and incorporated the cutout, metering, main switch and circuit protective devices into a single unit. This was in the 1950s.
What I can't find is a more up to date definition, other than the one in bs7671 which is not overly specific

View attachment 29126View attachment 29127

I know what you mean, but in reality it's semantics isn't it? When a fellow sparks says CU or DB you pretty much know what they mean...

IMO it seems like all CUs are DBs, but not all DBs are CUs...

Cough! Getting back the original thread; Wylex, Crabtree (same group), Schneider, Hager & MK Electric are all offering their new 'Amendment 3' domestic consumer units. I'm not sure I would include any others IMHO. My local wholesalers usually stock from all these manufactories, but only have Wylex currently available off the shelf, and only in a couple of sizes/flavours.

Seems that metal 'Amendment 3' boards are rarer than rocking horse pooh at the moment, so OP, you should speak to your electrician to see what he can obtain or wait a while till the shelves get stocked up and the guys here, can give their views, once they fitted a few. IMO the Hager one seems to of had some thought put into the design, the rest seem to have put the contents of their plastic CU's into a metal box.

im surprised no one has brought one out with a layer of fire mastic covering the inside XD that would contain the fire.

if there is a fire it will expand and cover the lot

what good is a cable grip for the tails if the problem is a loose or bad termination

Reply to Which consumer units are best in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock